Bilge Question

scottzfx

Cadet
I hope this is posted in the right area. I just bought my first boat, a 73 15' tri-hull. Deck and transom seem to be in good shape. However, the storage space under one of the jump seats in the front has a hole busted through the fiberglass. I will be repairing that ASAP. My question is, do these boats have bilge pumps? If not, how does any water in the bilge get out? I don't see an access port in the deck, but the carpet is not original, so it may be covered over. I'm a realist, so I know if there is a hole through to the bilge, water will find its way in. What's the best way to check and if no bilge pump, should I install one?

boat01.JPG

boat02.JPG

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Bilge Question

yes on bilge pumps, note plural.
Theres a bilge under there, I'd cut the carpet ( and toss it).

That boat looks to be in nice shape but the soft spot almost always spells water damage beneath the deck, its an ez fix. :eek:

do a forum search on "skanky beast"
a complete reno of a boat just like yours.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello scott..

If you have a pump you would have a though hull connected with hose and pump...( there should be a float or manual switch for the pump ).

If you don't have it...then why would you want one ?

Unless your gonna be in a slip and not on trailer ( you know.. to pull the plug out when not in..and put it back when going into water..)

Dont start putting holes in your boat if not needed m8..

I personally would not install a pump if its a day runner..

YD.

scottzfx

Cadet

She's definately a dayrunner and I'm already preparing myself for the first time I put her in and don't remember to put the plug in :).

I do not see any thru hull fittings anywhere on her and there is no manual switch and I don't see any wiring running into the bilge. I was just curious as to whether these boats did have pumps. As I said, this is my first boat and the only time I've had her in the water was during the "test drive". The decking sounds/feels solid, but I am concerned about water that could have gotten into the bilge from the hole under the jump seat (first thing to fix). I definitely don't want to drill holes unless I have to. Just trying to figure out now how to check and see if there is any water down there.

If the floor ever has to come up, I will be installing a couple just for peace of mind.

Thanks!