What's the best way to add a warning buzer to a Chevy 350 without loosing the gauges?

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer
I want to add a warning buzzer like the system shown here:
http://www.iboats.com/Cole_Hersee_M...219227750--**********.181506013--view_id.3876

It looks like it replaced the oil pressure and temp sender though. I want to be able to read both oil pressure and temp AND I also want to have a buzzer sound if the oil pressure drops or the temp gets too high.

Any other ideas?

I know there are multi-functions displays that do this, but I don't think I need two $500 gauges (one for each engine) for a simple idiot buzzer.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: What's the best way to add a warning buzer to a Chevy 350 without loosing the gau

Ayuh,... Install a "T" fitting along with the new senders to the original senders...

Shrub88

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What's the best way to add a warning buzer to a Chevy 350 without loosing the gau

There is an oil pressure port down by the oil filter so your oil switch can go there.

On the water temp, look for unused plugs on the thermostat housing or intake manifold water crossover. Also have plugs on the side of the cylinder heads that go into the water jacket, but it's a tight fit and your temp switch might hit the manifold.

Or, what about installing the temp switches in the exhaust manifolds?

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

Or, what about installing the temp switches in the exhaust manifolds?

Oooo, very good idea! That will be the quickest warning if an impeller head south while under way!

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same thing to go on the same engine.

My thermostat housing looks like a good place for the additional temperature sender.

Using the galley plug above the oil filter boss may not be the best solution as that is the last place to get pressure and will give the lowest reading in the system. It is exactly where I am going to put mine anyway as I want to know if oil pressure ever gets that low.

One note-do not mount your buzzer in the engine compartment-it is not spark protected and needs to be routed up to the dash.