are these buddy bearings?; do I need grease?

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry for the cell phone camera pics, but I'm hoping you guys can help me with two questions:

1) do these things look like buddy bearings on my trailer wheels?

2) by looking at the inside picture, does it look like I need to pump some grease in there? If so, can I just pump it in and then put that rubber "nipple" doo-hickey back on and that will keep the grease in place? And do I fill it up to the outer edge of the that collar area?

Thanks.

Attachments

• wheel1.jpg
    wheel1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 0
  • wheelclose-up.jpg
    wheelclose-up.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 0

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: are these buddy bearings?; do I need grease?

NOT Bearing Buddy.

Looks like the EZ-Lube system...but you are missing the rubber cover.

This is a good setup, since you grease the bearings from the inside bearing, to the outer bearing. But you must have the cover over the access hole, to keep everything lubed (and dry).

Here is a shot of the cover installed...and a diagram of how the lube is distributed:

2yzm068.jpg

91ks4x.jpg

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like the EZ-Lube system...but you are missing the rubber cover.

Sorry, I should have noted that I removed the rubber cover to take the picture, so I'm good there.

This is a good setup, since you grease the bearings from the inside bearing, to the outer bearing.

So do I grease it up until the grease is at the outer edge of that metal end cap? Thanks.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry, I should have noted that I removed the rubber cover to take the picture, so I'm good there.

So do I grease it up until the grease is at the outer edge of that metal end cap? Thanks.

Couldn't be any simpler...hang a plastic bag over the hub, and grease until you see the new grease. Use your finger to scrape out a small amount (for expansion)...pop the cover back on...and go boating!

15zl4qf.jpg

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. The picture sure helps a bunch. This may be a stupid question, but do I just shoot the grease in the general hole area (inside the hub in general) or is there a specific place I should place the end of the grease gun? I recall hearing on the bearing buddy that there was some sort of specific spot that the grease gun fit onto before starting to inject grease.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. The picture sure helps a bunch. This may be a stupid question, but do I just shoot the grease in the general hole area (inside the hub in general) or is there a specific place I should place the end of the grease gun? I recall hearing on the bearing buddy that there was some sort of specific spot that the grease gun fit onto before starting to inject grease.

There should be a zerk fitting on the end of the axle...if not, then you either don't have the EZ-Lube setup, or you have the Posi-Lube setup with a zerk fitting at the back of the hub.

See drawing of the Posi-Lube setup:

2lixyeq.jpg

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Your picture seems to have a grease fitting in the center of the spindle (axle end)...that is where you will attach your grease gun.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure when the last time u did your bearings. It looks a little dry in there you may want to pull the hubs and bearing out and see if they need to be replaced. IF there good clean and shiny than repack throw a new seal, pump it full o grease and your good to go..

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sold a couple trolling motor batteries via Craigslist to an old-timer boating guy. When he came over he was nice enough to ask me if we had any questions about our boat. So he got down there and showed me how to grease up the bearings. As you guys pointed out the grease gun end just fit over that little doo-hickey sticking out from the wheel and we pumped it full about six times. All set!

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure to use marine wheel bearing grease.

There is a difference