1955 Lone Star Riviera Restoration

The transom was rotted. I glassed in a new one, sandwiching 2- 3/4" and 1- 1/2" plywood pieces together to make my 2" thick transom.
I removed the hardware and started paint stripping. A lot of coats of paint on this aluminum boat. Does anyone with paint experience have any advice for me on the type of paint and procedure? Thanks.
Here are some pics of the project. I'll keep posting progress. Here's one that didn't get in.

Attachments

• DSCN2166.JPG
    DSCN2166.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2141.JPG
    DSCN2141.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2165.JPG
    DSCN2165.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2167.JPG
    DSCN2167.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2164.JPG
    DSCN2164.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 1

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1955 Lone Star Riviera Restoration

Welcome to iboats.

What type of finish are you wanting to achieve? If you strip to the bare aluminum the some additional prep will be needed (easy prep).

Type of paint? Depends on how much you want to spend and finish once again. The low end is rustoleum and up from there.

Take a look at this thread for ideas http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286412&highlight=north+beach

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I've been through the dilema of paint and if I had a choice I would paint an aluminum boat only to the water line. The bottom I would clean up and buff out. If you look at the high end aluminum boats, that are the favorites of pro fisherman, you'll notice that most of them leave the bottom paint off.

If for no other reason, (and there are many as you will find), the bare bottom equals minimal maintenance.

Sschefer,
I saw your pics and read your thread. Nice job on the boat. Thanks for the imfo.

Hooklinesinker45

rfishesser

Recruit

Have you been able to find any of the original parts for this boat? I have the same boat in similar condition but none of the original parts, including the windshield.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Welcome to iboats and the Tin Can club . Paint as Bob said has plenty of options . Theres the high end jobs such as Northbeaches and sschefer . Then theres the Cheap bastages like myself and Cheapboatkev :D. The most important part on an aluminum boat if you are going to paint it is to get some zinc chromate as that is the base coat on an aluminum boat . This is wht goes under whatever you are going to put ontop.Feel free to check the link at the bottom of my post to see my project Rustoleum paintjob ( theres pics in the last several pages ) :D.

Rick