72 winner Outboard damaged transom

Russ Preves

Seaman
Hi...

I noticed leaking after launching...and saw cracks in the gelcoat by the engine mounts...most likely the engine bounced while trailering....

was thinking of adding/epoxying a 1/2 aluminim plate across the ouside as a fix?

here's pics w/motor removed

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Russ

Attachments

• P5080003.JPG
    P5080003.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P5090010.JPG
    P5090010.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 0
  • P5090011.JPG
    P5090011.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 72 winner Outboard damaged transom

That does not qualify even as a temporary fix. If something goes (i.e. the transom) it will take that plate with it.

Russ Preves

Seaman

Thanks for your reply....

I was thinking about having this plate across the entire back of the boat...bolted through...but this may be beyond my expertise...how can i determine the extent of the damage?

jonesg

Admiral

Hi...

I noticed leaking after launching...and saw cracks in the gelcoat by the engine mounts...most likely the engine bounced while trailering....

was thinking of adding/epoxying a 1/2 aluminim plate across the ouside as a fix?

I had the same problem, the transom is rotted to pulp, the outboard bolts are compressing the pulp . I chainsawed mine out and poured a seacast transom, you might opt to replace with plywood,
Next thing to check is the stringers, drill a test hole into them and examine the wood chips, very often they go hand in hand with the transom.

my boat came with the temp fix already installed, it was quite well done with thru bolts or threaded stainless shafts 24 inches long which bolted to a cross member in the bilge, everything was braced with alum angle brackets.
The splashwell still cracked!

I used an elec chainsaw, really rips that old wood out quick.
I just glassed the splashwell back in today, woohoo!
I left the reinforcement plate on the transom, less area to sand and paint.
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/jonesg_photos/my boat/