Reattaching a windshield

firemedicmonkey

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1992 Bayliner Classic 2252 22ft Cuddy I just bought. It was sitting in a barn and the windshield was removed to make it fit.

Is there anything special I need todo to reattached it? i.e. glue in the holes, caulk, etc...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Reattaching a windshield

Probably heald in place with T bolts...... you can run a bead of 3m4200 under the frame edge to seal it if there is no gasket. The 4200 is removable..... if you use the wrong stuff you might need to break things to remove it again.

firemedicmonkey

Seaman Apprentice

They are just stainless philips wood / sheetmetal screws... should I put some glue or epoxy in the screw holes?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

YES! I would use some epoxy so they do not pull out and stay sealed.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Epoxy in the holes and the bead of 4200.....It will be sealed great..;)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Epoxy in the screw holes? Don't you ever want to get the windshield off again?

Just use some 4200 or Boat Life Boat Seal and that's it. Windshields need to come off for a variety of reasons, using epoxy will be problem you just don't have to deal with. Use the sealer and thats good enough.

And they are aluminum screws because it's an aluminum frame. That prevents electrolysis that can corrode the frame or screws.

Also, I hope you got the black vinyl trim strip to cover the screws. If so, leave it out in the sun for a while so its soft and easier to press back into the recess where it goes.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I was thinking epoxy,let dry and re-drill the holes..
If the screw holes are not stripped then just the bead of 4200...

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

is there any place to get the T-bolts??? I spent about 3 hours searching thru the different bins at home depot to find something I could grind down to work but so far nothing at all

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Don't seal a thing! Use an OEM gasket on the bottom side edge of the glass if it had one. Call Bayliner to find out what it originally had as a vinyl strip sealer if you are unsure. Or, clean up the one it had, if any, which is plenty seal enough. You're just going to make a big mess if you start "caulking" things. Remount it with clean s/s t-head machine screws and nylock type nuts.

Captain Chris