1965 33 seahorse trouble starting

Got it back out after last year to test out, (always drain my fuel after each use) and was just making a grinding noise and only turning once or so. The battery had been sitting after charging a week or so earlier, so I figured on a weak battery. Recharged it and tried again. Started up perfectly a couple of times, and then all of the sudden all I could get was a little click from solenoid I guess. I cleaned the connections, so I'm wondering would the solenoid click if it was bad? Earlier during that first test, I did notice the starter smoking a bit and getting hot. How do I determine if it's the solenoid or the starter?
Thanks for any advice!

seaswirl71

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1965 33 seahorse trouble starting

pretty sure you can apply 12 v directly to starter from battery to engage it and see if it works, but I am new to outboards and not sure its the same as all the cars I work on.

lindy46

Captain

"Smoking a bit and getting hot" - you've got a starter problem if it was the starter actually smoking. How is the cable from the solenoid to the starter?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What connections did you clean, and how? Sure sounds like a dying battery or poor connection in battery cables.

"Smoking a bit and getting hot" - you've got a starter problem if it was the starter actually smoking. How is the cable from the solenoid to the starter?

Checked and cleaned connections, and just tried it with a jumper cable from the battery to the starter and got nothing. Instructions for taking off the starter? Thanks again.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Also, is 1965 a year that any shop could rebuild?

Any shop that normally does starter work. Many of them send them out. It is easier to remove the starter if you first remove the flywheel. Then remove the starter, starter bracket, and lower bracket all in one piece. Simply unbolt it and take it off.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You fried it...once you let the smoke out of the wires it's all over.

A local guy was able to order a starter that worked for it for 85 bucks. It worked great unitl I let my lower unit seize up. But we should be done working on that in the morning.