battery connection???

the punisher

Recruit
Hi everyone, I have a 2004 bayliner 205br. I took the battery out to charge, but then I forgot which connections go to what post of the battery. There is one red cable, one thin black cable, one thick black cable, and three yellow cables. Can anyone please chime in? I greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,
David

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: battery connection???

For starters the thick red cable will be your positive and the thick black will be your negative.
With that in mind place your battery back in its holder. Now - just check the length of the remaining cables and place them on the appropriate post.
Now - this is NOT a professioal way to do it but it is a start. Best would be to run a continuity test through the remaining small wires and track from there.
Do you have an MBSS ???

Here are the standard wire colors used in the boating industry since the late 70s. When re-powering a boat with a newer motor this is a handy reference. Most boats use these standards but always double check in case changes have been made!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BIA Wire Color--------------------Where it is used
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black---------------------------------All Grounds
Black with Yellow stripe---------Magneto/short to Kill
Gray----------------------------------Tachometer signal
Yellow with Black stripe---------Choke
Red----------------------------------Unprotected(12V+)from battery
Red with Purple stripe-----------Protected(+12V)from battery
Purple-----------------------------(+12V)from ignition switch
Tan------------------------------Overheat sensor to warning horn
Pink-------------------------------Sending unit to fuel guage
Yellow with Red stripe----Ignition switch to starter solenoid
Yellow-----------------------------charging stator to rectifier
Lt.Blue with White stripe--------Trim up
Green with White stripe-----------Trim down

Some more standard wire colors used on many inboard boats, always double check though, as some vary or may have been changed along the way!
Some standard colors for boats since 1980 are as follows:
? heavy red 10 guage (main battery)
? heavy black (main ground)
? purple (ignition)
? yellow (starter solonoid)
? grey (tachometer)
? brown (temperature)
? blue (oil pressure)
? brown with stripe (alarm)
Accesories
? pink (fuel sending unit)
? yellow (blower)
? brown (bilge pump)
? grey (navigation lights)
? heavy green (bonding wire)
? red (misc electrical add-ons , vhf , depth finder, stereo, radar, power supplies)

the punisher

Recruit
Re: battery connection???

I got it to work. It turns out that the yellow and black cables are ground and the red is for power. I mixed them up and blew the starter fuse. I just replaced it, and the boat is running like a champ!
Thanks for your help,
David