Checking internal workings of gear box....

Noodleman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ah, the joys of a gear box... what a wonderful thing.. .UNTIL ITS UNWELL! :(

I believe my gear box is in need of some TLC. After a bit of investigation, I believe that some part (unsure what) is broken/worn, and is preventing the motor from disengaging from gear correctly.

I came to this asumption after a chat with an engineer in a workshop near me today (boat shop). with the lower section removed, to put the engine into nutrual, you should just be able to rotate the gear shaft, until it "click" or locks into place..

However, mine doesnt do this, it requires you to keep pressure on the gear select shaft to keep it out of gear. Aparently, this is a sign of a worn gear box, and could be a pain in the ***/pricey to fix.

Can anybody confirm if this is big bad oh no news.

I get the feeling I may need to strip the gear box and take a proper look, and If this is the case, I would love to have some guidance from somebody who may have done this before.

This engine is a bit of a project, and is on a stand in the garden, so not a huge problem, but I did want it all fixed very soon as summer is just about here, and my boat is sulking :(

Alec.