1960 johnson 3hp runs good but not enough rpms

bassman33

Cadet
i just bought a 3hp johnson and it runs like a top no skipping or anything just doesnt rev up at full throttle ...i have a 30ib electric trolling motor that pushes me faster seems like im only getting half throtle when the slider is all the way open ...anyone got any ideas on what my problem might be?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1960 johnson 3hp runs good but not enough rpms

i just bought a 3hp johnson and it runs like a top no skipping or anything just doesnt rev up at full throttle ...i have a 30ib electric trolling motor that pushes me faster seems like im only getting half throtle when the slider is all the way open ...anyone got any ideas on what my problem might be?

Sure, it is running on one cylinder. Given that it is a 1960, it is very possible that it has cracked coils, very common, in fact the rule rather than the exception. But it could be as simple as a bad spark plug or needs points. It is NOT a dirty carburetor, although it could be dirty in addition to the ignition problem. The carburetor feeds both cylinders, not just one.

They have all those parts right here at iboats

Attachments

• Cracked coils2.jpg
    Cracked coils2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

bassman33

Cadet
Re: 1960 johnson 3hp runs good but not enough rpms

thanx a bunch im gonna go out and check them over see whats up with them ...kinda was headed that way ,just wasnt sure where the darn thing ran so good if it could be running on one cylinder... but i will listen to the guys that know way more then me about it and check em out ..thanx again :)