Thru. hull fitting problem

FAV453

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this is kinda off topic, but you guys probably can help. I am new to board and boating so please forgive the NOOB. Anyway, I have a through hull fitting (plastic below the waterline) that is cracked. It is the water intake for a livewell. I went to replace with new Marlon (sp?) plastic fitting. Problem is I can't reach the old fitting. It is located on the transom below my outboard. From the inside of the boat there is atleast four feet from the closest access point to the fitting, if I reach all the way in I can just touch it (without being able to see what I am doing). I can't even reach to disconnnect the hose, pipe clamped to it. I was thinking I could maybe replace it from the outside, pulling the fitting and the hose through the hole, but how to remove the nut on the back side of the fitting? What I have done in the mean time is chaulk up the walls of the existing fitting to patch the crack? I was thinking I could sleeve the fitting with plastic tubing sealing the tubing all along the ID (this would reduce the dimension, but it is only for a livewell). Any suggestions or should I call in the pros?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Thru. hull fitting problem

Hi, Fav. Welcome to the forum. It sure sounds like it is in a real bad spot. The problem with attempting to seal this, is no matter how well you do,it will eventually leak. If water has a way of getting behind this,it can delaminate the fiberglass. If left unattended, it will work it's way to the transom.<br />Even if you have to break-out the skill saw to cut an access hole,it will be better than trying to seal it.<br />A compromise would be to break the fitting the rest of the way off, patch the fiberglass, and install a new fitting in a more accessable area. Too bad epoxy won't stick to pvc,or you could just glass-over the entire mess.<br />Byut still, if it were mine, I would much rather have a 4"-6" hole in my deck, than a 1/4" hole in my hull.<br />You could allways take a piece of alluminum plate,and make an access hatch above it (where you had to cut the hole to get at it.).

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could grind/break off the outer flange, then drive/hammer the fitting to the inside, then grab the hose to pull it up, R&R with possibly a fitting that will let you tighten from the outside? Just a thought

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it's on the transom below the motor mount then I assume you must have a floor that runs all the way to the transom wall with no open air bilge at the stern? If so, I agree with 12 footer about putting in a new hatch. If the cost of an aluminum hatch doesn't work for you, you can also easily install a round screw top high impact plastic access hatch in the floor (these hatches are available at any marine store for under $20). You need a drill, a jig saw, stainless steel screws and some marine caulking. It's pretty simple. Try to put it in a place that will give you maximum access for other things in the future. Also, to protect the hatch, put it under the splashwell if you can so nobody steps on it.

FAV453

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the suggestions. Just one possible problem with the hatch/thru deck fitting. It would have to be in the floor of the splash well that usually stays wet when running. Could adding a hatch comprimise the design of the splash well? Actually, I was this close to doing that, but then I thought "Why wouldn't the manufacturer have added an access panel to this area?" Considering the multiple other hatches/panels through the deck and on the inside of the boat. Thoughts?

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would avoid going through the splashwell at all costs, especially given your access problems. Can't you get at it from either side of the splash well? Maybe you should ask the manufacturer for a suggestion, they seem to have created the problem.