Inlet Fuel Leak

robanderson

Recruit
I changed the carburetor fuel filter on my mercruiser 140hp engine. Now fuel is leaking from the inlet connection when the engine is running. It is leaking at the connection where the black metal fuel line connects into a copper nut which is screwed into the carburetor. I know the leak is not were the copper nut connects to the carburetor, because when I squeeze a towel around the metal black line the leak stops. I?ve made sure the metal line has a tight connection to the nut, but it still leaks. Should there be a gasket of some type between the black line and the nut, right not there is not.
I would appreciate any feed back I can get on this.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Inlet Fuel Leak

Typically there is no gasket. If it's a flared fuel line with a compression nut, the flare can compress to the point that it won't seal anymore. At that point you need a flaring tool, redo the flare on the tube, and you should be good to go.

robanderson

Recruit
Re: Inlet Fuel Leak

Danond Thank you. The current flare looks compressed. It is almost flush with nut that holds it in. That?s why I was thinking there should be a gasket. Can I use the flaring tool over the top of the old flare and reform it, or should I cut the old flare off and create a new one. Also would it be more economical to buy a new metal fuel line, or buy a flare tool. Again thank you for your help.