omc stringer drive pumps a tonne

badman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
fixed the water pump! thanks to all who gave advice.
The problem was that someone either drilled a hole in the impeller housing or there was some sort of access hole that had a bung which went missing.
As soon as i plugged it (liquid metal) the pump worked.
Either way, in the process i serviced it all and the amount of water it pumps out of the top of the drive is astonishing.
i will post a video soon showing te water coming back out of the half open drive.

Due to some issues with a filed Intermediate housing and its water jacket, i will be tapping a brake line flared end into the trunion cap on the port side and running the line to spray water on the ball gears.
Otherwise they ge hot and the metal becomes maleable and suffers mis shaping.

Last edited:

badman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: omc stringer drive pumps a tonne

Hey Badman, good on ya, lots of people on here don't even change their own oil and post here whining about the cost:eek:, you deserve some credit.:D

Have you seen this site?

http://www.glmmarine.com/30yearsomc.html

Hey, thanks. can't understand why some people don't get in there. it can be a bit daunting but once you have gotten in there its actually very easy.
I certainly didn't want to run the boat until i saw Gushing water from the impeller because i have a feeling thats what cooked the engine when the previos owner had it.
In a boat the engine doesn't get any air cooling!
Looked at the omc history link and it's very good. Have popped it on my site and ref's the original page.

nice one, good info and i hadn't seen it before.
cheers

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

I cant believe you can still get parts for that drive, one of the things I like best are those manifolds.
Strange about the hole in the pump housing huh? are you testing in a bucket of water?
I cant see the video of the pump working.

WizeOne

Commander

Badman, I shouldn't think that you would have to go to all that trouble to cool your ball gears. Later electric shifts (and consequent mechanical shifts) came with a deflector shield across the top of the gears that forced the outside splashing water down onto them. Although it would probably be difficult for you to buy one, I do not see why you could not fashion one. The deflector just mounted thru the top bolts that held the intermediate ball and shaft into the intermediate housing. They do work well. The pictures shows my 34 year old ball gears.

DSCF4915.jpg

badman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah, the video converter wouldn't run last night so going to try again tonight.
Re: the water on the ball gears....
The manual seems to imply that water is 'squirted' onto the ball gears. It implies that this water comes from the water jacket of the IH and thus from the impellers pumped water.
Due to the poor state of my IH i am having to bypass it on the water intake and only use it for water outflow.

If it's true and water is actually sprayed upwards from the action of the drive in the water then yes, i won't have to make up a pipe.

P.S.
Do any of you recognise my swivel housing and water pump housing?
They are Completely different to any in the diagrams for early or late stringer or cobra.
I think someone might have used the lower section of a Johnson outboard because i have read that they are interchangeable.
If this is so i don't have a hope in hell of getting the right seals for the swivel housing etc because i will never know the correct part number.

Put it this way... today i MADE my own o rings using a Wurths o ring kit.
After i tapped a filling plug into the strange hole!

Attachments

• swivel-housing.jpg
    swivel-housing.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 0
  • swivel-housing-seals.jpg
    swivel-housing-seals.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0
  • impeller-housing.jpg
    impeller-housing.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 0

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Put it this way... today i MADE my own o rings using a Wurths o ring kit.

Probably cheaper anyway in the long run, now every time you need one you will have it eh.

BLDFW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny coincidence in seeing your post. I'm having the same problem with my '70 Evinrude Explorer "early version" OMC sterndrive. I've been restoring it over the last 7mos and discovered a circulation problem when testing in a tub of water the other day. Good thing I didn't just launch it!

At first it would pump water no problem and then it would quit. My research suggested the outdrive had to be removed to fix it so after a deep reflection and with tongue in cheek, I pulled the outdrive and started tearing it down. Nothing ventured, lots of money to pay someone else to do it instead. You're right, it's not all that difficult to do if you have a logical mind and it sure helps to have all the right tools or a source for them.

When I pulled the upper gear and impeller housing I discovered a missing O-ring in the swivel housing sleeve. If I had to hazard a guess, when the RPM's increased and thus the exhaust pressure increased and introduced exhaust air into the water system disrupting circulation.

It's amazing what an oversight like that can do. I think someone either rebuilt or intermixed the existing upper with a used lower but the work was never finished so the omission wasn't discovered until I bought the boat and did some testing. Since I've already got it torn down, I'm biting the proverbial bullet and ordering new upper and lower seal kits as well as new ball gears. At least I can rest assured everything is there and working properly.

If you're interested you can check out my project pics at the link below. You can get right to the outdrive and impeller pics using the "Outdrive" tag link to the left.

badman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dude. your restoration project rocks. well done.
Tidy tub.

Had a look at your lower gear casing pic and even though your drive is different from mine, some parts are interchancheable/
Have a look at the two images i have attached.
Both are of the swivel bearing retainer assembly, one is yours and one is mine.
Yours has the lower part of the shaft and mine doesn't come apart! at least i haven't got it apart yet.

Can you suggest anything that your drive has to stop water from getting down around the drive shaft on yours ?

Mine has all the parts included in the manual (pic attached, you will see the diference) but we cannot see how it would create an adequate seal and when the long drive shaft is in place, indeed it does not!

Does yours have a metal oil retainer on top? mine has nothing but this seal.
cheers

Attachments

• swivel-housing-seals.jpg
    swivel-housing-seals.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0
  • bldfw-swivel-bearing-housin.jpg
    bldfw-swivel-bearing-housin.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1968-90-lowergearcase.gif
    1968-90-lowergearcase.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 0

BLDFW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the delayed response. I missed it until I started looking at OMC Stringer entries again.

When my pump is installed the female shaft of the pump slips down over the male shaft shown in the pic. Because that whole section is in the water flow, there is no seal or o-ring on the male shaft itself. There is a plastic seal on the upper lip of the round cavity housing the male shaft. It has to be sealed with permatex.

Not sure if that answers your question. Let me know.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: omc stringer drive pumps a tonne images

Re: omc stringer drive pumps a tonne images

the photographs of the impeller and its housing can be found at:
http://www.tribidium.com/matt/omc-stringer-drive.html

How difficult was it to separate the two shafts. On mine the splines were corroded so badly that It had to be taken from the top of the drive along with the gears and then separated which was no fun!

BLDFW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I have an update and have to clarify something I said.

Sorry for the delayed response. I missed it until I started looking at OMC Stringer entries again.

When my pump is installed the female shaft of the pump slips down over the male shaft shown in the pic. Because that whole section is in the water flow, there is no seal or o-ring on the male shaft itself.

I have to clarify my comment....there is an oil seal at the bottom of the male shaft where it goes down into the lower unit. There is not a seal where the male and female shafts join.

There is a plastic seal on the upper lip of the round cavity housing the male shaft. It has to be sealed with permatex..
There is a plastic "washer" (not seal) that rests on the top of the swivel housing. On mine it was Permatexed but it should not have been. Clearly someone before me was having a leakage problem and did not replace the seals in the proper matter instead preferring the $2.00 method. Wrong!

badman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi again.
yep, sourced a replacement seal for that area and actually matched it with a local supplier so i have a backup.
/i can see why water was getting in there...
the seal is not a brilliant design. When new it probablt works okay.
Its inner seal is a thin lip that seals around the shaft and over time this would wear and probably become less elastic and shrink.

/i think OMC redesigned this area and used different seals.
i will look out for your new query.