Oil leaking under prop after hit in lake

CBarr

Cadet
Drifting out in front of lake house and when i started and placed it in reverse started to back up and hit something. Turns out a petro line runs into lake and there are concrete bags under the water. I pulled boat out pulled prop and was able to get it fixed.

When pulling prop I notice smell of gear oil after I put prop back on I lowered motor, gear oil start leaking out of bottom at steady rate Motor is a inboard with OMC Cobra - is there a chance a busted a seal in there? Also noticed when I spin prop it seems to be a little warped and noisy. Pulled top plug and gear oil seeped out so I know it was full. How concerned should I be?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Oil leaking under prop after hit in lake

I noticed that you haven't received any answer yet, and even though I don't have the same setup that you have, I will give a generic reply:

If you have had the prop repaired, and you notice that it has a slight "wobble"...then my guess is that the prop shaft was bent by the collision. A bent prop shaft will ruin the seal(s), and you will lose drive lube.

I am sure that some of the site 'experts' will jump in, and list what parts you are looking to either repair, or replace. At any rate, you should not run this engine, to avoid any further damage.

Just my $0.02...and this gets you at least a 'bump' to the head of the posts!

Good luck!

CBarr

Cadet

This happened Saturday and have not had a chance to test it but noticed when I spin it it looks like there is a wobble.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

I think your question is pretty much answered. The prop strike bent the prop shaft and damaged the seal. If you continue to run it, you'll probably further damage the lower. bearings and gears.

That drive needs to be removed and inspected by someone that's experienced with Cobras. You'll probably be rebuilding or replacing the "lower". If you continue to run it you'll be rebuilding/replacing the entire drive.

If you can just replace the lower you might be able to get it HERE You'll probably still need to have someone inspect it.

Sorry about that,

Rick