Missing capacity plate on 28' cabin cruiser.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer
I cannot find the capacity plate on this boat. It almost looks like it never had one.

I then found this rule:

Federal law requires single-hull boats less than 20 feet in length to have a capacity plate. (However, PWC and sailboat manufacturers are not required to attach a capacity plate.) Always follow the recommended capacity found in the owner's manual and on the manufacturer's warning decal. Never exceed these capacity recommendations.

I assume that means the boat never came with one.

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Missing capacity plate on 28' cabin cruiser.

you can always take it to the coasties and they can make you up a new one

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you, so assuming it would be safe, which it wouldn't, I could legally put two 520 HP engines in my cabin cruiser?

Willyclay

Captain

You wouldn't be the first or the last to make those mods. However, my question for you is where are you gonna find enough space for a fuel tank big enough to feed those monsters? Good luck, be safe!

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

You won't see me putting bigger motors into this boat. It can already plane on only one engine. I got this rig with sword fishing and dolphin/wahoo trolling in mind. I want the peace of mind two over sized engines can bring when 20 miles out in the ocean.

It holds 100 gallons which should be good for 4+ hours of cruising or high speed wahoo trolling, 8 hours of mid speed trolling, and 50 hours of idle trolling.

Sharkfighter

Cadet

You won't see me putting bigger motors into this boat. It can already plane on only one engine. I got this rig with sword fishing and dolphin/wahoo trolling in mind. I want the peace of mind two over sized engines can bring when 20 miles out in the ocean.

It holds 100 gallons which should be good for 4+ hours of cruising or high speed wahoo trolling, 8 hours of mid speed trolling, and 50 hours of idle trolling.

100 Gal tank with a 28 ft Cabin Cruiser seems like a small tank to me. But here in GA it is much further to the stream then in some other places. 10 NM out I am in only 50 ft of water catching anything from black sea bass and undersized snapper to King Mack but no Swords, Wahoo or Dolphin til we are 60 NM out.

My 25 ft Mako with a Cabin has a 160 gal tank. I am not sure what is common for a 28 fter but 100 gal just seems light. how many gal do u burn just getting out to your fishing grounds to start your troll? 1/3 to 1/2 tank for the out and back trip and a third of a tank on the troll seems to be pushing yer fuel capacity. But I have done dumber things myself and you know your boat and area best.

Rob