Replaced intake manifold and now I can't get engine to start (1993 4.3lx Merc)

Had a crack in the intake manifold around the t-stat housing so I replaced it and now the motor turns over but I can't get it to start. I followed the exact service manual procedure for putting the distributor and camshaft back in properly, or so I think? I pulled the #1 plug, found the top of the compression stroke using the covering the hole method and lined up the mark on the crank pulley with 0, then set the rotor so it was pointed towards 1 on the distributor, buttoned everything up, and I get nothing. It cranks and cranks but it won't fire.

I had the boat out once already this year a few weeks ago (that's when I noticed a little water leaking out around the t-stat housing) and it started fine and ran great all day. I'm at my wits end here. I can hear the fuel pump, there's plenty of gas in the carb, and I have spark in all 6 cylinders. Am I doing something wrong with the camshaft or distributor/rotor? I know my way around a motor but I've never dealt with a carb or distributor to this extent. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

-Jim

MikDee

Banned
Re: Replaced intake manifold and now I can't get engine to start (1993 4.3lx Merc)

Your cam is probably set to fire on #4, the exact opposite of #1, Just take out the distributor, and give the rotor, EXACTLY 1/2 a turn clockwise, then drop it back in, it should start then. On the small block Chevy V6 engines, Cyl. #1, and Cyl. #4, are both at TDC at the same time! The camshaft determines which cylinder will fire with each crank revolution, #1, then #4, then #1, then #4, each alternately forever.

By the way, on the Small block Chev V8's, it is cyl #1, and cyl #6, that alternate firing at TDC

Hence a 4 stroke engine design.