Update:starting 2hp Elgin after 20 years..

Texwing

Cadet
Ok, thanks for all the help from the other thread. I got home today to fool with the Elgin a bit more, clean points and carb, fire at the plug and ....nothing. So then I took a syringe and injected a couple of CCs of gas mix in the plug hole, reinstalled the plug, and voila, its runs great for about three seconds. Now understand, there is gas dripping out the carb throat, but it wont fire. So then I put my thumb over the carb throat almost completely, spin the engine with a drill, and proceed to blow gas and air about five feet out onto the driveway.
So here is what I am thinking. I have not cleaned the copper plate looking thing that sits behind the carb, and I presume that is the intake reed valve that must be gooed open, causing fuel and air to suck into the crank case and then blow right back out again, thus accounting for blowing the gas four feet down the driveway when my thumb is over the carb throat.
On the other hand, i am no 2 stroke expert, and would like thoughts on how you can have fuel and fire, and almost no action. I would also appreciate a starting procedure for this Elgine air cooled 2 stroke, maybe a 1958, in terms of how to start it, specifically how many turns out on the main and idle fuel mixture screws, and then what. Success is near, i can feel it, ...thanks for all the help!