89-90 Force 120 engine doesn't shut off

csbender

Cadet
I could not get the motor to shut off. I changed the switch and there was no difference. The engine will not turn off when I turn the key back to its original position or even if I hit the kill button. The only way I can shut off is by pulling the fuel line. ???????

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89-90 Force 120 engine doesn't shut off

First off, please do not pull the fuel line to kill the motor. It will run the carbs out of gas, usually the top one first, and create a lean and non lubricated condition = will damage motor !

Instead, place your hands over the carbs to starve the engine of air.

Be careful of the spinning flywheel !!

Is this motor new to you?
Or have you had it a while and this is just a new problem?
Is there any noticeable change in the way the engine runs after you turn off the switch?

By turning the key off, or flipping the kill switch, you should be grounding the ignition system, thus killing the engine.

On the ignition switch terminals:

M - white or black/yellow stripe wire
M - blue or blue/black stripe wire
I - Red/blue stripe
S -Yellow or yellow/red stripe
C - green or yellow/black stripe
B - Red

On the terminal strip on the side of the engine:
The 2 black/yellow striped wires from the cd modules, should connect to the white or Black/yellow wires in the harness.

THe blue or blue/black stripe wire in the harness, should go to the terminal strip, then connect to a motor ground. This wire must ground in order to kill the engine with either the ignition switch or the kill switch. I suspect this is where the problem may be.

csbender

Cadet

I have had this engine for 9 years and this never happened before. This started when I took the boat out of storage. Thanks for he info,will check the ground wire and get back.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

White and blue is the kill circuit. If the engine refuses to stop running, ground the white wire on the engine terminal board. This grounds the CD boxes and stops the spark.

NOW: when you replaced the switch, did you attach both white and blue each to a different "M" terminal? These are in continuity with the switch off and this completes the grounding circuit of white to blue to ground.

Russ Preves

Seaman

I had that problem last week with my 120 force...

how wierd, you turn the key and it keeps running!!

remember, cdi ignitions need to be grounded to stop....so that means if it did stop before....but does not stop now...there's a loose wire!!

Yup, that's usually all it is....tighten up ALL the wires on the side of the engine....wiring harness.....bet it works fine then!!

Russ

mikeb07087

Recruit

I have a 1999 Force 120 with CDI ignition and had a similar problem.
Engine would start fine, and after warm up would increase speed uncontrollably (with throttle plate at idle!) I wired in a local kill switch (Black wire with yellow stripe) to the CDI packs with no luck.

After extensive electrical testing, I was getting out of spec peak voltage from the trigger coil on cylinder #3. Replacing the trigger coil got me back into control of the speed. (dont forget to check the timing when replacing the trigger coil)

Before you go replacing the trigger coil, check it out with a peak reading voltmeter-- Seloc manual gives directions for this.

I'm still having problems with the engine, but my out of control speed and kill switch problem went away with the trigger coil replacement. My current problem centers around the fact that the upper two cylinders are not igniting at idle. I've got some more diagnosing to do.

I hope this helps

Mike