Replacing bass boat transom

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a winter project, yea i know summer is just begining. I have to replace the transom in my ranger 372v bass boat. i have done one transom job on a small 15' boat, but this boat is 18' and it seems a little intimidating with all the wires, tilt/trim pump, and fuel lines to have to take out.

What is the best way to repair a bass boat transom? . . i thought about cutting the splashwell area out like i have seen done before, but i dont know if i can put it back on to where it is not noticeable that it has been cut. i also thought about removing the cap, but i have heard that ranger caps are nearly impossible to remove.

I am going to try to find a shop to work in and out of the weather so i can take my time with it and do it right.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Replacing bass boat transom

Duck hunter i wish that i could help you with the advice of the transom restore without removing your top portion. I don't know but that might be the best route, i would certainly keep asking around though and not simply take my advise solely. There are so many smart guys on this forum and there is a great chance someone up here has done it before without removing the top shell.

I don't know and cant' speak for Ranger bass boats but my glasstream i was able to work the top off by myself, but you bet there are a boat load of wires and such that you would need to simply tape with masking tape and mark, mark, mark everything.

I was able to remove my top myself however i didn't have the weight of any seats and such, all of that stuff had been removed previously. I simply had a shell. The only thing really holding my shell on was pop rivets underneath the bumper strip on the seam of the two halves and the top of the transom that i cut through with a short blade on a reciprocating saw-zall to separate the joint there.

Keep asking abroad and i'm sure you can tackle it.

Chris

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info Truefire!

i was thinking about doing it this way.

IMG_0315.jpg

and try to put it back on like this, . . like it was never removed!

IMG_0364.jpg

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh yeah, i can see that. That will work right there my man... Yes sir ree and you will not have the aggravation of separating the two halves.

I like that, just take your time, try to enjoy it and it will look great when ever you finish. Hey keep me posted about your success right here.

Take care buddy, chris

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post some pictures of your boat and the transom/bilge area. That'll help.

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

i will try to get some posted up soon, but i dont have my camera and wont have for a little while.

Its the exact same as the boat in the picture, thats a 1986 373v and mine is a 1984 372v basically the same boat.