Water in oil/Milky oil

UpperUpsilon

Seaman Apprentice
My dad bought a boat about 2 weeks ago. It's a 1999 Bayliner Capri 2050. Powered by a 4.3L Mercrusier. Raw water cooled. Looks like it might have spend a little time in salt water (darn).

Last weekend, we took it out on the water and cruised around for about an hour. Starts right up, and runs smooth as butter. Only, at the end of our trip, the oil pressure dropped very quickly, and we heard the lifters rattle and shut it off immediately. Pulled the engine cover, and there was steam coming out of the crankcase vents. (uh oh) We paddled to the nearest boat dock and loaded up and went home.

Today, we changed the oil and it was milky with a lot of water in it. Put it on ears and once again it started right up and ran smooth. Oil pressure gauge read 40psi. We tried to hook up our own oil pressure gauge but the sender wouldn't come off. Ran smooth. But then once the thermostat opened up and water started coming out, we started to lose the precious oil pressure. We shut it off before any clatter and pulled some oil. Milky.

So, we're thinking the exhaust manifolds have died. Actually, we're pretty sure. Gonna pull them sometime this week and check them out.

So, what I'm wondering is how the water can reach the oil without the engine sputtering and coughing. It just runs so smooth and silent like...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Water in oil/Milky oil

So, what I'm wondering is how the water can reach the oil without the engine sputtering and coughing. It just runs so smooth and silent like...

Ayuh,.... That's because you have a Cracked Block, not bad manifolds...

UpperUpsilon

Seaman Apprentice

Really.

So do you know where we can get a block if that's what it turns out to be?
We can probably overhaul it ourselves. We have lots of experience with you know, non marine engines that use anti-freeze so the coolant will never freeze and crack the block.

I'm assuming we'll just need a short block. And an engine hoist.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,.... That's because you have a Cracked Block, not bad manifolds...

Ditto's.

It appears that your dad bought a boat that was not winterized correctly or not at all.

You should remove the intake manifold and inspect the area behind the pushrods. You will probably find cracks there where the water jacket cracked. V-6/8 engines frequently crack there.

Time for a long-block.

Regards,

Rick

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Before you go jumping to a cracked block. I'll offer another posibility. The intake manifold to block gasket is bad. I've seen it a few times, but it is not as common as a cracked block. Either way you have to pull the intake and have a look at the gaskets and look for water tracing.

The thing with cracked blocks.... They almost always leak externally as well. like 90% of the time. Look for an external leak, and look for evidence of a "patch job" with epoxy or jb weld on a possible old crack along both sides of the block. Also look to see if the sides of the block are fairly straight, or if it looks like they have been bulged out. If you find a patch job or bulging of the sides then you can be 99.9 percent certain you have a cracked block.

If there is no evidence of either than pull the manifold, have a look at the lifter valley for cracks, then the gaskets for water tracing.

The lifter noise is caused by the aireation of the oil from the oil/water mix becoming to high in the pan. If it's taking a long time for the oil level to rise, you may luck out. If the oil is rising quickly your probably scaaaaaawred.

UpperUpsilon

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, the bilge is almost completely dry, so we never thought it could have been the block... But it's probably just leaking internally, how convenient. No patch jobs or anything. We're gonna tear it down anyway though, but I'm sure we'll find a crack. The oil level doesn't seem to rise very fast, but it looses oil pressure very fast. I'm guessing the oil becomes so thin that the oil pump can't keep up. It doesn't seem to froth. Once the thermostat lets a considerable amount of water through, it starts to lose oil pressure. Also noted is that the stbd manifold gets too hot too touch unlike the port manifold.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You should first pressure test the block just to be sure.

maddog2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Go to www.rapidomarine.com and look at thier engine selection there.
I just bought a 4.3L long block for $1,300. plus $150. shipping.
my engine was cracked from not winterizing it. I have a 1992 model, block casting 756.