Water in the gas tank

vtmaquamshore

Recruit
I have a '96 17 foot Bayliner with a Force outboard 90hp motor. After having trouble getting the motor to start I cleaned out the carburetors and found the gas filter full of water. My fuel tank has a water in it and I am not sure how to get it cleaned out as this fuel tank is internal and there is no way to remove it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Arabian180

Banned
Re: Water in the gas tank

I just drained 10 gal of bad/old gas /water mix on my Century using an electric fuel pump. Most auto parts places have them for $30 + -. There are also some hand operated liquid transfer pumps for $15 or so. But you'll be tired and cussing before your finished if you have alot of pumping to do.

You don't want to try pulling or pushing the fuel/water through the filter so take it off while pumping it out. put a NEW one on when your finished.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

pumping it out through the regular pickup tube is the easiest way. Just remember, if using an auto pump keep it out of the bilge. Don't want to read about you on stupid human tricks.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Often, its easy to disconnect the fuel line from the motor and siphon the tank empty using the fuel line.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

If the sending unit is accessible, you might be able to remove it and get a look inside of the tank. Depending upon it's location, it might even permit you to swab the inside of the tank with a small rag [firmly] attached to a piece of copper tubing.