Transom Hydraulics

Dorrien

Recruit
I have a 190 h/p Mercruiser with an Alpha Stern Drive (2001) which is having a problem with lowering the transom. I checked the service manual, and it said that if the hydraulics sound like it is running while toggling the switch in the up/down position but the transom will only move in one direction...it probably has air in the hydraulics and that I should bleed the system. No problem. I read through the process of bleeding the system, and I need to get a couple of plugs for the process which I was able to find online. At the end of the section, it talks about the torque required to secure these connections. The valves have a requirement of 70 in-lbs (if I remember right) or there is a measurement for N-m. I have searched for a torque wrench that a) would be able to secure from the side (can't use a socket type wrench) and b) would handle this small of a torque. All of my searches so far have found spanner torque wrenches that handle torques in the 200 in-lbs range. Does anyone have suggestions on where I can go to find the tool(s) to properly secure these connections per specs?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom Hydraulics

Howdy,

This is extremely important that you torque these fittings NO MORE than what is required. You're tightening a stainless steel fitting into aluminum and if you get them too tight you strip the hole!:eek: Not usually good since the next step is to replace the trim cyl!

You need a set of flare nut wrenches and a set of flare nut "crows feet"

SUU-9708.jpg
66245901822900.jpg

You can use a small torque wrench on the crows-feet...they usually don't mind....;)

getimage_new_7317_1.asp

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Master Mechanic, 3/8" Drive Torque Wrench, Measures In IN/LBS, 25 - 150[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cheers,
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rick[/FONT]

Dorrien

Recruit
Re: Transom Hydraulics

Thanks for the info, Rick. I just got off the phone with my dad to let him know, and he said that he was talking with a Merc mechanic. The mechanic told him that he didn't have to worry about using torque wrenches so long as you didn't try to over tighten. He said it was no different than dealing with the bolt when changing oil in a vehicle.

The other thing the mechanic told him was that it was most likely not a matter of an air lock but that the arms just needed replacing because they need replacing every 5-6 years due to saltwater corrosion. He said there were kits out there to replace the transom arms.

Does anyone know what he might be talking about or have suggestions? I'm trying to locate the parts now to find out how much it will cost to replace the arms or get this kit.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner