Missing part, no replacement... need to be creative

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hope someone can help me figure this out.

The small red dome/rubber flange that covered the oil light indicator on our dash broke off. I carried this part all over this past winter trying to find a replacement every time I went to a boat shop or marina -- then I realized that I could just silicone it back on since it was not a button or moving part.

Now I cannot find the darned thing. :eek:

Can anyone offer an idea to use as a cover that won't be too awful looking? I have been to hardware stores, auto stores -- and walmart looking for a 'thing' to use for this cover. I just don't want it to get wet an short out.

I just know it will show up as soon as the season is over and we are tearig everything down for the winter! :mad:

pictures attached. the part is located above the keys -- and missing in the same spot on the next picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2081.JPG
    IMG_2081.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 0

Arabian180

Banned
Re: Missing part, no replacement... need to be creative

Replacing the whole light assembly with something from the
"We Know Absolutely Nothing About RADIO- SHACK" may be an option.
attachment.php

Although this one is 120v neon they do have similar ones for 12v circuits.

I've had this 12v. one in my tool box for years and have never had a use for it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0213.jpg
    DSCF0213.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0217.jpg
    DSCF0217.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0219.jpg
    DSCF0219.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I think that you may have to go with Arabian's idea of replacing the whole light. Should not be to hard or expensive. 1 12v wire and 1 common wire.

Hopefully it will match close enough. If not replace them all while you are at it.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

YES!!

Ok, first off, Arabian, I love your flash avatar.... cool.

The entire light works -- I just need that little red plastic screw top in picture number three - that's the part that broke off leaving the thread. Gonna print this out and run to Radio Shack and get my part!

If the cover doesn't fit, I will replace the whole thing. GREAT leads THANKS a million to both of you!!!!!:D:D:D

YIPPEEEEEE so happy.

Arabian180

Banned

YES!!

Ok, first off, Arabian, I love your flash avatar.... cool.

The entire light works -- I just need that little red plastic screw top in picture number three - that's the part that broke off leaving the thread. Gonna print this out and run to Radio Shack and get my part!

If the cover doesn't fit, I will replace the whole thing. GREAT leads THANKS a million to both of you!!!!!:D:D:D

YIPPEEEEEE so happy.

Thanks for the comp. Avatar looks like me when I'm finally able to go to the lake :D Also looks like me when I'm broke down.. Excited either way just to be there :D

If you don't find what you need at Rat Shack send me a PM and I'll try to hook you up with one.

Good Luck

T.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jewel Lens.... now I have a name for it. Thanks ezombee.

I will be in touch Arabian, thanks for being the backup plan.