BUOYANCY FOAM a simple question??

Link

Rear Admiral
Without getting into great detail as in above or<br />below the waterline etc..can I assume that one<br />square foot of two part foam (expanded and<br />cured) will support about 50-55 lbs of boat weight<br /><br />Thanks Link

peterbo3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: BUOYANCY FOAM a simple question??

Evening Link,<br />One cubic yard (27 cu ft) of seawater weighs approx 1680 lb. One cubic foot weighs approx 62 lb. Therefore one cubic foot of foam will support<br />62 lb less its own weight. Hope this helps.<br />Regards,<br />Peter.

Link

Rear Admiral

peterbo3<br />Thank you for the information. I'm not exactly<br />sure how you came up with it but your sea water<br />numbers seem to be correct and the 62lds of <br />support - its own weight agrees with what I've <br />been able to find. Just wanted to make sure I was<br />in the ball park here. Now I need to take a real<br />hard look at this bucket of bolts to see if its<br />worth trying to foam :) IE: Can I get enough<br />foam in it to keep it from sinking.<br />Thanks again<br />Link

peterbo3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Link,<br />How to work out the volume of your underfloor area. I guess you want to foam it to provide a safety margin in case you swamp. <br />With the bungs in & the trailer level, fill the boat with water to the bottom of your floor. Drain the water into a container of known volume as many times as needed until your hull is empty.<br />Make sure you keep count of the number of times you fill your container. This will give you the number of gallons of water your hull holds. Using the figures from my previous post you can then determine the weight of this water & then the cubic capacity of your underfloor area.<br />Assuming you know the weight of your hull & motor, you can now determine if you can get enough foam into it to keep it afloat.<br />This will be a very rough indication only. There are many other factors which come into play which I cannot plot in.<br />CAUTION!! 2 Pack foams tend to expand at a rapid rate & in a confined space may cause cracks/bulges in your hull or floor.<br />Regards,<br />Peter.