Good Karma at the ramp!!

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got to the ramp yesterday and stated looking for worms under leaves and logs, when a guy with two kids came along and offered me his leftover bait. Went out and caught some nice bluegills, their moving into the shallows getting ready to spawn. When I got back to the ramp their was a couple that were having trouble backing the boat into the lake, they explained that there dad had always done it but wasn't able to do it anymore and it I could back it in for them. When I had it in they were in awe of how easy I made it look, I told them I have only been moving boat trailers around for forty years and I'm finally to point where I don't embarrass myself to often.
All in all a day that makes you glad to be alive

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Good Karma at the ramp!!

it pays to offer a helping hand. especially to the alone fisherman. guy with 10 kids, and no one helping. and of course seniors, if they will let you.

nice job.

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

it pays to offer a helping hand. especially to the alone fisherman. guy with 10 kids, and no one helping. and of course seniors, if they will let you.

nice job.

The first guy had two kids around 4 and 6 that he put in the truck before he did anything. He had a shocked look on his face before he got the joke when I asked him "How are they going to drive the boat on the trailer if their in the back seat?" If I remember right I was about that age that when the adults did anything with the boats I was there getting in the way. BTW I never stopped:D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Always nice to help out when you can. I taught a guy to back his trailer a few years ago that was having difficulty. Still see him occasionally at the ramp and he is really good now. He thanks me every time he see's me.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have more miles backing than a lot of people have driven. Period. I will help or make a suggestion to someone having trouble only if I don't think I will get shot. I really don't like to help and be told to mind my own dxxn business by someone who then takes another 1/2 hour to back his trailer.

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since my stroke I have found out first hand about help. I used to be able to do almost everything ( well a lot of stuff anyway:cool:) after the stroke I found myself having problems with a lot of stuff that I took for granted. I have to admit I have turned down the offer for help several times not because the help wouldn't have been nice but rather I was / am trying to get back to where I was. I think a good example of this was yesterday, it was my big monthly shopping day the last store was the walmart and I fell a couple of times in the store the last time I fell one of the clerks asked if she could get me on of their scooters. proud, stubborn, obstinate, determined i declined.
What really made me feel good wasn't that the people asked me for help backing their trailer, rather it was that I was able to do it.
jamie
A day without falling on the stairs is a good day!:D

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Since my stroke I have found out first hand about help. I used to be able to do almost everything ( well a lot of stuff anyway:cool:) after the stroke I found myself having problems with a lot of stuff that I took for granted. I have to admit I have turned down the offer for help several times not because the help wouldn't have been nice but rather I was / am trying to get back to where I was. I think a good example of this was yesterday, it was my big monthly shopping day the last store was the walmart and I fell a couple of times in the store the last time I fell one of the clerks asked if she could get me on of their scooters. proud, stubborn, obstinate, determined i declined.
What really made me feel good wasn't that the people asked me for help backing their trailer, rather it was that I was able to do it.
jamie
A day without falling on the stairs is a good day!:D

Jamie, I remember reading earlier of your struggles. You make me think of how fortunate I am at 61 to have no real physical or mental problems. (Unless you ask my wife..LOL). God bless you, but be aware of how good others feel when they are given the opportunity to help you....

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know it's wrong but to accept help is admitting defeat. I don't mean to offend anyone by trying to do things by myself.
I blame it on my heritage. My grandma used to say "you can always tell a German, but you can't tell them much." My problem is that I think that I can still regain everything I lost, but I guess in reality I'll never be close or write a coherent post.
The bright side is that I haven't fallen in the lake yet this year, the not so bright side is that last night I forgot to shift the truck into 1st on the ramp and when I went to pull it out I started backing up into the lake:eek:
and yes I wear a pfd when I'm out by myself