how to convert longshaft to short shaft motor

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
just wondering how difficult it is to convert a longshaft 8hp johnson to short shaft
i have new
-water tubes (15')
-driveshaft
-shifter
is that everything i need? and if so how do i convert it i heard its easy but am not sure how to do it

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: how to convert longshaft to short shaft motor

does your motor have the 5 inch removeable outer case and exhaust housing?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If your motor has the 5-inch extension that TD mentioned, you pull the LU, pull the extension off, put the shorter water tube and driveshaft in the LU, put the shorter shift shaft connector on the LU shift rod and put the LU back on. Bob's your uncle!
If your motor doesn't have that 5-inch housing extension, you have to find a complete shorter leg that will bolt up...or just raise the motor on the transom.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I am pretty sure to replace the water tube you need to pull the powerhead to access it, as it is part of the exhaust tuner assembly. If you are absolutely positive you're never converting it back to a long shaft, I would cut the existing tube back EXACTLY 5-inches - it'll save you pulling the powerhead. I've done that before with a Dremel and a cutting wheel. Be sure to clean up any burrs, and if possible, cut it to follow the same angle/bevel as the existing tip.

- Scott

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

does anyone know for sure if i need to pull the powerhead?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Pretty simple - pull on the water tube and if it doesn't come out, you'd need to pull the powerhead. The tube is flanged at the top and comes down through the mounting casting part of the tuner, with a rubber grommet around the flanged part of the tube. The grommet and the flange would prevent you from pulling it down through.
- Scott