Gel coat application

Chip198

Cadet
I need to know if gel coat can be applied with a roller. I know it is usually sprayed on but I am told it is very difficult to do. Has anyone ever rolled this stuff on? How much sanding is required if you do apply it with anything but spraying?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Gel coat application

sure, you can use a roller...it'l give you a nice texture tho. I don't know what you want to accomplish, but on large areas it is a lot of work to sand and buff, and it will not cure if not sealed from the air...just a Thought

Chip198

Cadet

Would it be better to use paint? If so what kind and will it stand up to chips etc?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I am assuming that your finish on the gelcoat is shot.There are many paints available at west marine which when applied properly and prepped properly will give a professionally done appearance.I recently had my boat professionally done with imron paint.I wanted every nich and scratch and chip fixed.I wanted it perfect and WOW does it look awesome.I have had several people ask if it was brand new.That is the ultimate complement.It all depends how much you are willing to spend.You can do it yourself for a couple of hundred dollars at most,or you can have it done by a professional for a couple of thousand.There are even methods of application done with a roller and followed up by a brush to smoothe over.You need a special paint to do this and it requires 2 people to do it. Charlie

Chip198

Cadet

Hey Charlie, I have some small cracks in the gel coat. I think I will need some kind of filler first. I just wonder about paint. Will it chip or fade earlier than Gel coat?

Ralph 123

Captain

Chip198 - go to amazon and search for "fiberglass and gelcoat repair made easy" in the video section. It walks you through the entire process from start to finish.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Chip,paint is the way to go.Just make sure you fix all the cracks first.You can even use a dremmel to widen the crack so you can fill it with epoxy and sand smooth and prime before topcoating.If you ever have to do a repair you can match the paint easily.You can even do little touch-ups.Gelcoat is nearly impossible to get a perfect match and it always fades unevenly. Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

By the way to answer your question ,Yes the paint will chip before a gelcoat will chip,but it is way easier to repair.The new paints available will not fade as fast as gelcoat.Of course it also depends on how you take care of it. charlie

Ralph 123

Captain

This is a 1979, not so well cared for at times, 28' Formula with original, untouched gelcoat:<br /><br />
Boat1.jpg
<br /><br />All I did is buff it after maybe 5 years or more of total neglect. The surveyor thought it had been painted. Gelcoat done right is time tested and proven.

Chip198

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys. I have another question. Evercoat makes a product called a polyester Gel paste that goes on before finishing. It is product #263707, some of the old screw holes and gel cracks are not huge but quite visble. Has anybody out there used this stuff or could recommend another product I could use?