1983 15 HP evinrude trouble

Sher-wood

Cadet
I have a 15 HP Evinrude that I purchased from a older gentleman near Minneapolis MN 1 year ago. Since I have had it I have had to replace the coil and spark plugs. Nothing unexpected.

Today I had my boat out and whenever I reached full throttle my engine would kick out of "forward" gear into neutral. When it was doing this the RPMs were very high. I reached over and pull it back into forward then it was good to go until I reached full throttle again. Then repeat, repeat, etc...

My motor is very cold blooded even in this Minnesota heat (70 degrees is hot right?). The motor has new spark plugs. I think the carb might need to be cleaned. I am a newbie when it comes to outboard motors. I would like to do stuff myself if possible. Is cleaning the carb an easy chore or something for a pro to look at?

And another thing, I observed that the lower unit was bent when I turned the prop by hand. Is this something to worry about or do I need to get a replacement immediately? If I need to change this, is it a troublesome task?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again,

Adam

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1983 15 HP evinrude trouble

The carb is very easy to clean. You should also check to see that your choke plate is closing fully when you pull the choke. If it doesn't close completely, then it will always be hard to start.

The lower unit problem you describe is either due to a mis-adjusted shift lever, or more likely, a bad clutch dog and/or bad gear ears. If adjusting the shift lever doesn't fix it, you will have to disassemble the lower unit and see what you need. You don't want to know how much the gears cost new..

Do you mean when you say the lower unit is bent that the prop shaft is bent? If so, you need to disassemble the lower unit anyway and replace that shaft, since no seals will work and water will get in your lower unit and eventually ruin it.

Hope this helps,
JBJ

Sher-wood

Cadet

Thanks you sir for your reply! You are right about two things. #1. yes the prop shaft is bent. #2. I dont wanna know how much new gears cost...

Every time I take my boat out I have some kind of trouble with this motor. When it is working well I am pleased with the speed and power if provides however, those days are rare and few. I would love to just go to the lake, give it a pull or two, then off I go. Instead I spend about 15 minutes figuring out why the cord will not pull out of the coil (even though it is brand new). After that, I wonder why it dies after I give it throttle. Then I am curious about why it kicks out of gear when I am full throttle. :eek:

I will take your advice and clean the carbs and check the choke plate. Hopefully that will make it start better. I'm kinda at wits ends here! Guess that's the way it goes sometimes, right?

Thanks

Adam

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Adam - do not use the motor again until you have dealt with the bent propshaft. At the moment you may only be in for a propshaft. If you keep running it you will be in for gears, bearing carrier and likely more... Keep an eye on eBay. Parts turn up frequently...
- Scott

Sher-wood

Cadet

I will do that! Thanks for the reply. Not exactly what i wanted to hear but i am sure glad I did.

Adam

Rick.

Captain

Sorry to hear about your problems. The rope pull is designed for your safety. It will not pull if the motor is in gear. Turn throttle down, put it in neutral and then give it max. throttle. The recoil should work for you if you follow this proceedure. Best of luck with the prop shaft. Rick.

Sher-wood

Cadet

Great thanks Rick! I really appreciate the assistance I have recieved on this forum. It's all been very informational.