86 mercury 35hp question,,,

johnsonlver

Cadet
after two years of storage i just got it to fire up,,it raced up then stalled..i got it to start again,,and almost stayed running for more than 10 seconds..when i went to prime the bulb on the gas tank,, the bulb was not getting hard,,and i can see the fuel filter filling up then going back down, when i squeezed it filled up when i let go it went down?...now after 2 years of storage on a winterized motor,,that was fogged,..what should happen when it starts,,and how long is normal for it to crank until it will run right? thankyou

Laddies

Banned
Re: 86 mercury 35hp question,,,

Once it starts it should be OK, sounds like it has a split fuel pump daiphram or crude in the carb.

johnsonlver

Cadet

were is the fuel pump if im looking at the fuel filter bowl on the non throttle side?

johnsonlver

Cadet

one more thing,,when i pump the bulb i hear air somewere near or around the carb? in the carb?

johnsonlver

Cadet

found the problem,,thanks,,motor runs awesome...One more thing..only because i do not have a manual yet...the throttle linkage..how do i adjust it so the starting arm goes back far enough,,the way it is hooked now, it starts right up but idles way to high,,when i disconnect the throttle and push that black arm back it idles down???

Laddies

Banned

If the fast idle lever won't go all the way down go to the throttle cable (top) and remove it turn the barrel on the front toward the end of thre cable (to shorten) the distance between the connection points just enough to let the lever go all the way down.

johnsonlver

Cadet

fixed thankyou, lol,,i got the thing running perfectly,,ran it for 15 minutes at a perfect idle then shut it off, went to start it again it started up then died, now all it is doing is cranking, almost like it is flooding,or not getting fuel,but then i smelt fuel near the carb, i checked the fuel and it is getting all the way up to the carb.. so i took the carb out to clean, when i opened the bowl with the float in it.. the needle valve that is in the top unit on the top of that bowl, the tip has a little rip in the rubber tip, or whatever material that is,and it is a little warped...could this have been my problem,,