pressure dent

sunraker1

Recruit
I bought a 27' searay that was improperly stored. Under the keel about 1/3 back they had put some timber to hold it up.It looks like they didn't spread the weight over a big enough area and the weight has dented the hull considerably.A lesser boat would probably have punched a hole through. Any ideas how to get the dent out?? Thanks in advance.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: pressure dent

It should be a simple matter of cutting out the dented area and glassing in a new section. Sometimes a mold can be made from an adjacent area and used to layup the new section.

Generally speaking, a hook can not be straightened out in a fiberglass hull.

Although it might be worth heating the area and putting weight on it to see if it can be re-formed. Would probably take a while. Probably have to cut up some deck, etc.

How big an area is damaged? Does it extend to stringers?

sunraker1

Recruit

Thanks Mark, I guess the overall area effected would be 18" diameter and seeing its on the bottom ,it would be hard to completely replace...for me anyway.LOL What would be the best way to apply pressure the opposite way to remove the dent.?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wen properly blocked the keel of the boat should supoport it's weight just fine. It sounds more like you have an underlying structural issue that caused your problem. here is a pic of my 32 on blocks and it didn't cause a bit of damage. The blocks under the keel support all the weight and the jack stands just keep it from tipping. Maybe you could post a pic of this damage.
DSCF3809.jpg

sunraker1

Recruit

I think the support was not quite under the keel....they had some blocking up the side of the keel or mabe the blocking tipped. Anyway its not anything else other then the weight has indented the hull beside the keel.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

slasmith1 makes a good point about the keel. I was thinking just some spot on the hull, maybe between stringers. But if the keel is bowed, there is most likely some inter structural issues. Especially on a boat that size, because the hull is often an inch or more thick across the bottom. Even more in the keel. You need to get to the bowed area and check for water damage that is causing structural rot.

Its common to store large pleasure boats on the keel and chines because they are the "hard spots" on the boats hull.

UPDATE:

OK, I missed your post about it being off center of the keel. I was posting while you were. That happens here a lot!

Get us some good pics!

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Fiberglass doesn't just dent if it is dented there will be structural damage such as rot or delamination. but the best and most accurate way for us to answer your question would be for you to post a pic of the dent from both the outside and inside of the hull if possible.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Sun..

When putting boats on Timbers they have to make sure the boat is setting on the keel with most weight. Ive seen this happen many times where, in the slings, they nail the wooden supports without having enough weight down. Therefore when the straps are lowered all the way.. some points of the boat put too much pressure on the hull. now stored for a short period ( with denting ) isnt terrible.. but for longer periods could warp the glass without damage. however will not come back into shape on its own.

I would look for stress cracks around the area..look for ANY visible damage. If there is no structural damage done, and you want it to look right, then you simply reshape the area by adding glass till fair. ( which is a whole other diatribe on how to do that )

Hope this helps some..

YD.

sunraker1

Recruit

Thanks for the interest in my problem. I have seen this happen before when a heavy boat was left on a trailer with rollers and the rollers have slowly indented the hull. I will take some pics next week.