Another outdrive oil question

thomasalva

Seaman Apprentice
I know this question has been discussed many times in the forum, but there seems to be some contradictory advice. Some advise to just follow the manufacturers recommendation, and others recommend using the Mercruiser high-performance green oil (to keep water in suspension, etc.).

I have a Volvo DP-A, and the book calls for API GL-5 90W or 80W90. I didn't know about the Merc oil, so I just finished replacing my oil with Napa/Valvoline GL-5 80W90.

Even though the book calls for standard GL-5 gear oil, it seems like it might be better to switch to the Merc oil. Is there any problem with this, or should I just leave it alone? Maybe it would be best to switch it when I winterize in the fall?

Thanks

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Another outdrive oil question

If you?re not going to use what?s recommended by the manufacturer, use what ever makes you feel good. It?s your money and these threads will never give you a definite answer.

thomasalva

Seaman Apprentice

As I mentioned, I am using what's recommended by the manufacturer, but obviously technology has improved in the last 20 years. The forums often times do provide definite answers, but knowledgeable opinions are of course always welcome.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you have alot of water intrusion ?
Weird you want to drain out all the good new oil you just pumped in there. :confused:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Any Volvo dealer has the branded Volvo gear lube...
Just looked at it on the shelf at the dealer today.16.99 a quart...:rolleyes:

thomasalva

Seaman Apprentice

I pressure tested the drive, and no I don't think I have any water intrusion. I'm not looking to immediately drain all the new oil, but reading back through some of the old postings led me to believe I might have made a mistake. Sounds like I'm OK just to leave it alone.

Thanks

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

The forums often times do provide definite answers, but knowledgeable opinions are of course always welcome.

On most things you can get a definate answer. You start talking about a lube or oil and everything changes.

thomasalva

Seaman Apprentice

No doubt you are right. I'm sure it's more important to just keep it full and to check for water pretty often just to be safe. This only takes a minute, so I'll probably just check it after every trip and especially during winterization.

Thanks

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Funny this came up.I was just talking to a tech at the dealer about gear lube.
He said they use the Merc lube in everything except the Volvo drives.For those they use the Volvo lube.
I asked him why and he said because of the warranty...
Not saying the Volvo brand is better but he would not give me a direct answer..:rolleyes: