Some tricks of the trade for force

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class
First let me start by saying these are just my opinions and by no means am i telling you what to do but these have worked great for me plus people that have worked on or around outboards for a long time..

Lower Unit seals leaking???? Try lucas stop leak for transmissions worked on all of my outboards and the seals still hold up a year and a half later...

SeaFoam??? 1/2 rubbing alcohol,1/4 laquer thinner 1/4 menthane..same thing>>>

Cant get the bottom spark plug out????? loosen it then put a tube around the end and slowly turn it out...

Gaskets leaking i.e head or covers??? Run it in the trash guy with the tell tale pointing in the can so it recirculates..head gasket repair or block sealer works best, I think the company is called crc or prestone..back in the 40's they actually used pepper and sodium silicone(small glass beads)

Can find if you have a vacuum leak??? run the motor and spray starter fluid around the lines..the engine will rev up when its around the area...

Cant get that bolt out??? before stripping it try applying butane (rechargeable butane for a lighter)to the bolt and making it cold much better than that stuff that suppose to freeze it by crc and alot CHEAPER..

Stripped threads on screw and cant retap it???? aluminum foil will take the contour of threads and will hold most screws,some bolts too

Flywheel wont come off..loosen the bolt on top and BRIEFLY start the engine.. It should wobble loose...

any old timers like to add i would love to hear there opinions???? Erik

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Some tricks of the trade for force

I'm definitely no expert, but here's my 2 cents worth...

Lower Unit seals leaking???? Try lucas stop leak for transmissions worked on all of my outboards and the seals still hold up a year and a half later... - Doesn't work 100% of the time, but if it does you're good to go.

SeaFoam??? 1/2 rubbing alcohol,1/4 laquer thinner 1/4 menthane..same thing - Where do you get methane? Isn't it a gas?

Cant get the bottom spark plug out????? loosen it then put a tube around the end and slowly turn it out... - Works great. I use a piece of 3/8 inch fuel line or something similar. Learned that when changing spark plugs in foreign cars with spark plugs that are deeply recessed into the valve covers.

Gaskets leaking i.e head or covers??? Run it in the trash guy with the tell tale pointing in the can so it recirculates..head gasket repair or block sealer works best, I think the company is called crc or prestone..back in the 40's they actually used pepper and sodium silicone(small glass beads) - Not sure that will work as well on an outboard as those products are designed for closed pressurized cooling systems to force the block sealer into the leak. Changing the head gasket on a 2 stoke Force engine is pretty simple. Not sure I would trust some pepper, glass beads, or whatever they're using nowadays when out on some big water.

Can find if you have a vacuum leak??? run the motor and spray starter fluid around the lines..the engine will rev up when its around the area... - Works well, but sometimes have to watch exactly where you squirt it. If you're close to the opening of the carb and squirt too much, sometimes some of the excess will get sucked into the carb giving you a false indication.

Cant get that bolt out??? before stripping it try applying butane (rechargeable butane for a lighter)to the bolt and making it cold much better than that stuff that suppose to freeze it by crc and alot CHEAPER.. - I've found it more convenient to just heat it up with a propane torch. Never tried freezing a stuck bolt. Either way, you're either trying to expand or contract the bolt to break the mechanical bond that is preventing the bolt from turning.

Stripped threads on screw and cant retap it???? aluminum foil will take the contour of threads and will hold most screws,some bolts too - Tried that many times. Haven't had much success.

Flywheel wont come off..loosen the bolt on top and BRIEFLY start the engine.. It should wobble loose... - Sounds a little risky. You may damage the keyway slot in the crankshaft/flywheel. Many repairs that require the removal of the flywheel are due to the engine not being able to start anyways because of bad stator or trigger.