Went to start Elgin 2hp after 20 years of sitting and..

Texwing

Cadet
...the recoil starter self destructed after about fifteen pulls. Fresh gas, fresh pug, clean carb, clean points, good spark, but not much action. A couple of hits , a little smoke, but nothing close to running. Compression felt good. Lots of gas sitting in the carb throat, but the plug was dry when I pulled it and looked, so I am not sure what is going on yet.

So I am out a recoil starter, the spring in it appears to be messed up. Any reason I cannot carefully put an electric drill on the 9/16 (i think) bolt on the top of the magneto to get it started? I would like to figure out If the motor is going to run.

Darn.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Went to start Elgin 2hp after 20 years of sitting and..

Built by West Bend if you get us the model number we can date it.
Did you torque the flywheel nut to 200 to 250 inch lbs.If not tight enough it may shear the flywheel ky.mating surfaces dry and clean.
Points set at .020 highest point of the cam.Cam should be installed with arrow at the top and pointing in the direction of rotation.Motors prior to 59
plugs are set at .050.thats right .050.

freddyray21

Commander

if it won't start with a rope then starting with a drill won't help. if you take the recoil off you can wind a rope around the pulley anyways. sounds like the carb is not a clean as you think.

fakeplay

Banned

Try a starter that they use to start remote control airplanes. The drill will probly come around an hit you in the head or worse (your nuts).

Texwing

Cadet

Thanks for the help. Dating the engine: No ID number, this had the ID tag on the tiller handle, and it is long gone. Recoil start, similar to the red 1958 2hp elgin on see on some web sites, same decal and paint scheme but greenish ELGIN letters and green stripe around a blue tank, gold on white letters describing engine operation.

I started a new post since when I cover the carb throat with my thumb and turn the engine over, gas shoots out of the carb-I am thinking the reed valve behind the carb needs cleaning, since its letting crankcase pressure get past it-we will see. Other ideas appreciated.