Mercruiser Trim pump bracket replacement

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all got a quick, hopefully, question. The original bracket on my 2000 Sea Ray Sundeck with a Mercruiser 5.0L engine for the trim pump rotted away to a messy rusty wreck, the pump itself is fine. I am not sure why they did not use a more rust resistant metal for the bracket to begin with, alot of them seem to fail.

I purchased a stainless steel version and plan on transferring all the components to the new bracket. It looks straight forward, but I thought I would ask first rather than finding a issue later. So anything special, any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks Ike :cool:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser Trim pump bracket replacement

It looks straight forward, but I thought I would ask first rather than finding a issue later. So anything special,

Ayuh,.... It Is,.... Nothin' Special....

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bond-o for the speedy response. Did not want to get into it and not ask first!!!Ike

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello all got a quick, hopefully, question. The original bracket on my 2000 Sea Ray Sundeck with a Mercruiser 5.0L engine for the trim pump rotted away to a messy rusty wreck, the pump itself is fine. I am not sure why they did not use a more rust resistant metal for the bracket to begin with, alot of them seem to fail.

I purchased a stainless steel version and plan on transferring all the components to the new bracket. It looks straight forward, but I thought I would ask first rather than finding a issue later. So anything special, any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks Ike :cool:

I did mine as well. To my understanding Merc updated the bracket. I had to drill all new holes for the new style bracket. My only tip, draw a sketch, and mark all the solenoid wires so you don't get the pumping flow reversed. Oh yea, get ready for a major BATTLE trying to remove the rusted screws that clamp the soleniods to your old bracket! PB Blaster sprayed on for a week or so will help a lot. If not, I hope you have a pnuematic die grinder! Good luck!
Rich

r232

Recruit

Dirty Dawg and Polar Bus: I have the same problem with mine. Anything else you learned in the process that would be helpful to me? Did you have to disconnect the fluid lines to replace the bracket? If so, do you have go through any special process to reinstall them?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The bracket is a bit thin but when is does rust away, a old bed frame is just the right size to cut 2 pieces out and bolt on extentions ,paint and keep it dry .

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello all, Sorry did not look back at the post. I replaced mine Memorial Day weekend. Technically easy, but a pain in the ____, because of where my bracket and pump is located in the boat. Very tight spot with little room to work in.

Some advice to r232, make sure you have the right replacement bracket, there are two hole patterns depending on the year your pump was made, to avoid drilling holes.
Go with a stainless steel version, slightly more expensive, but I do not want to replace it again.
A couple of closeup digital pics before you start so you have a reference.
I did not disconnect any hoses, lines or wiring. I shut down the batteries to prevent any arcing and moved things from one bracket to the next.
Sprayed down the pump with some WD40 earlier and the screws came out easy.
Cleaned the rust stains on the fiberglass with CLR.

And that is about it. Any questions ask away!!!Ike

r232

Recruit

Dirty Dawg: thanks for the response. I replaced it on Sat. What a rotten job! The only way I could do it was to lay across the motor and then stretch to the back corner...I like my motor...but not that much!

I used Liquid Wrench and all the bolts except one came out. That one I finally had to grind off. Worked fine on the shakedown cruise, so hopefully that problem won't come up again for a while. I did use a stainless bracket and stainless bolts.

thanks again for the help

maximedelo

Cadet

How do you know which version to order... I do not see any model # on the bracket. Is it possible that aftermarket bracket (stainless) have both bolt patterns to accomodate everyone??

thanks

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maxi it has been a while but I believe the answer is yes, that the bracket may have multi hole pattern. I think the old bracket pattern would require drilling holes for a new pump. But the new pattern fits both. Sorry I cannot answer it definitely. Ike