Distributor cap and rotor replacement 4.3LX

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is for a 1994 4.3LX. The service manual mentions the rotor being held in place with loctite and the need to pry or apply gentle heat to remove it. Is it a pain to mess with? I've done plenty of distributor caps/rotors in my day, but never needed to pry one off. Any tips?

KYBOY

Cadet
Re: Distributor cap and rotor replacement 4.3LX

woo.. i personally have never had to pry one off.. man i dunno,, have u tried to put a lil pressure on it to c what it does? Id be scared of that. if any thing a small butane torch would be max in my opinion.. sorry man not to much help on this one:confused:

Bondo

Staff member

Is it a pain to mess with? I've done plenty of distributor caps/rotors in my day, but never needed to pry one off. Any tips?

Ayuh,.... Bust it off,+ Don't use Loctite on the New 1...;)

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Yep just a hammper and chisel on this one. If anything just clean up the shaft and put a light coat of dielectric grease on it.

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys! I'm glad I asked first. I've learned to not always trust the Mercruiser manuals to a "T". I do appreciate the experienced answers! :)

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just wanted to post a follow up now that the job is complete.

Before I hammered or pryed on anything I just decided to grasp the rotor firmly and pull straight up. This worked like a charm and the rotor pulled free without much trouble. I was happy that it came off easily vs. the use of any force. So just an FYI to anyone that might be doing this maintenance, pull first then bring out the hammer if needed. :D

Everything is back together and she's purrin' like a kitten and roarin' like a tiger! :cool: