2000? 50HP Mercury Outboard

Witness21

Recruit
Hi Guys-

I have a 50HP Mercury Motor that I believe is around a 2000. Within 1 year +/-. Anyway, It was sitting for a couple years maybe got run 1-2 times per year. I've had it out a couple times and it started up just fine. However, after running it for a short time, it didn't start up on the first try and it then proceeded to start very hard with a ton of smoke coming out. It's been doing that the for 5-6 times I've had it out. I thought it was old gas, but I put new gas in and I think most of the old gas is gone. Also, when driving it at 3/4 to full speed it has bogged down a couple times where I've had to squeeze the gas line pump to get it to run smooth again. Does this sound like a common problem from motors that haven't been used a lot? Do I just need a tune up and a good cleaning throughout, or does this sound like something big is wrong. Sorry guys, I'm not very mechanically inclined. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

-Tom

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2000? 50HP Mercury Outboard

fuel pump for sure if your pumping the bulb and getting a response - is it a 2 stroke or a 4 ?

Witness21

Recruit

It is a 2-Stroke. So is the fuel pump the problem for the starting issue as well? Does it need to be just cleaned or replaced? And what would a quote be for replacing something like that? Thanks!!!!!

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

rebuild kit should be avaliable - easy fix , and yes that will cause hard starting among other things but from your symptoms the fuel pump is not getting the fuel up to the carbs - what your doing by priming the bulb is becoming a human fuel pump .