Props to my Mercruiser

jkust

Rear Admiral
I just started my Mercruiser 4.3 carb in my driveway for the season yesterday. It is my first spring with the boat. I was expecting that since it is not EFI, it would be a bear to get running. It started instantly and ran perfect. I just wanted to say that the 4.3 Mercruiser beat my expectations and my common sensical thought and regret for not being to locate an MPI when I boutht last year. On the plus side for those 10 or so minutes, it sounded like a thru hull.

MikDee

Banned
Re: Props to my Mercruiser

It's a version of the small block Chevy, what did you expect? :rolleyes:
Just kidding but they are great engines, a 350 small block with 2 cylinders cut off basicly ;)

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Props to my Mercruiser

Well, I had all the fluids and filters changed during winterization. I did not have the impeller changed however. With such low hours on the motor, 67, the dealer suggested not to do it though I did ask. I did also summarize the trailer, hull and outdrive. I boat all freshwater if it matters. I would not have thought of spark plugs until the 100 hour mark.
Clearly, I have been driving EFI vehicles too long...100,000 until the plugs are changed and I have never even heard of a cap and rotor for EFI cars so that is a new one for me. I am thinking I will do the tune up and impeller change end of this season but I do need to change my mindset I see. I just need to figure out how to get the dust off the engine without wetting it down.