Mercruiser 3.0l alpha one help

soloblazer

Cadet
I have a 97 mercruiser 3.0l alpha one, had it winterized a year and a half ago and havent touch since, no went to start and it seems to be locked up, any ideas, it was running good before then. Any help would be great, thanks

MikDee

Banned
Re: Mercruiser 3.0l alpha one help

It just might need a slight tweak on the flywheel with a breaker bar, to free it up, then give it a shot, been there, done that ;)

Don't quote me, but I think clockwise with the wrench?

soloblazer

Cadet

will try that, but i guess i have to take front motor mount off to get to the crank pulley or do i take the out drive off to get to fly wheel??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Take the starter off.

MikDee

Banned

If it's that hard to get a wrench in there, possibly if you grab the alternator pulley with a gloved hand, and try turning it, while pressing against the fanbelt to keep it all snug, you might get it to move enough to release it, you usually don't need much to free it up, unless your engine is siezed?,,, then get out the wrenches. There's no need to remove the outdrive unnecessarily.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I'm with Don,

pull the starter.......I'd also pull the plugs and squirt a little light oil in each cyl. try turning the engine with a wrench on the alternator (push on the belt to tighten in while you do this......you should be able to move the engine this way if it isn't frozen solid).....then try it with a screwdriver on the flywheel etc.

If you cannot turn it, you might try removing the drive and trying it again.

It's possible that you had a leaky riser gasket. a small amount of water may have drained back into the an open exhaust valve and corroded 1 or 2 cyls.

If none of the above things work......it may be stuck pretty good. I don't think you want to force it. If all else fails.....pull the head and look inside...

Regards,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member

had it winterized a year and a half ago and havent touch since,

Ayuh,.... Sounds like at the very least it needs to be Summerized...

soloblazer

Cadet

Thanks guys will try these tips, also had someone recommend putting PB blaster in the cyclinder and letting it sit for a day or so and seeing if it will break it free.