Harmonic Balancer question

Hawk78

Cadet
Hello I am wondering if anyone can help me? I have an 82 wellcraft 23 nova with a mercruiser 260 or chev small block 350. The rubber around the harmonic balancer wore out and I need to replace the balancer. Mercruiser wants $221.00 for a new one, Autozone wants $49.00. Both have the same diameter 6.75" however the autozone one seems a little thicker and possibly heavier. The Autozone one fits without rubbing anything and they recommend it for the chev 350. My question is can you get away with replacing the mercruiser balancer with an automotive part and does anyone know if the 260 engine is internally balanced?

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Harmonic Balancer question

the mercruiser ballancer is automotive,just sold under mercs name for a redicules price. yes ,your motor is internaly ballanced as far as the harmonic ballancer is concerned. if the aftermarket part is a little heavyer it wont hurt anything,maybe even idle a little smoother

Shrub88

Seaman Apprentice

I just went through this with my 260 and I agree with the above comments. I would also suggest you get the installer tool from Autozone as well. $33 deposit that you get back on return and made the balancer install a snap.

ButchC

Seaman Apprentice

A quick question for those who have replaced the harmonic balancer. How do you keep the engine from turning over when you set the torque re-installing?

Butch

Shrub88

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, I'm working by myself on this 260 and it is wanting to turn on me.

I'm gonna try a strap wrench on the balancer or pulley and see if it will hold.

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Scew a couple bolts in the front and use a heel bar or long scew driver to hold it.