1973 Chrysler 55hp 2 cyl wont stay running

kjburr08

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone. In need of some advice. The engine starts up but only after being choked alot. There is a neutral switch on the throttle controls. You have to pull it out for neutral warm up. It seems it does not want to stay running at all. I have to keep choking and un choking to keep it running. Even after doing this about 10 minutes it still wont stay running unless I do this. It seems to be getting gas ok. I have noticed the throttle cables on the engine do not move very well when I move this on the control. When I put it in gear on the control and throttle forward it does not move the gas pedal near the carb at all. It seems as though the throttle lines are not moving the throttle as it should but I do not understand why because I WD40'd everything and it all moves great by hand. When in neutral warmup and I throttle forward, it doesnt seem to do much on the engine but turn the bottom plate underneath the flywheel very slightly. I am not sure if its in the lines or what. What do you guys think? It will not stay running and I think it has something to do with this, unless I just choke it over and over, and even then I cant put it in gear because it dies out quickly.

On another question. I have a couple wires coming of the key I am not sure whats going on but I'll explain the best I can. I have some kind of buzzer or something from the key and theres a couple wires running to it. I am not sure where to put them or what it does. I also have a heat wire and it mounts on the terminal board but where does it go on the key as all the prongs are being used. Would it work if I used the ignition slot with the igniton wire, that way its on when the key is on. Also on the terminal board, when I have the key on, Ignition does not show power, along with heat.

Sorry for the many questions, but I just want to take the boat and go fishing, hehe. Thanks guys!

kjburr08

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1973 Chrysler 55hp 2 cyl wont stay running

anyone? I just can't get it to run on its own without constantly choking and unchoking it. Is it possibly the timing? Maybe bad fuel pump? Bad carbs? I have checked the fuel pump, looked clean. I checked the carbs, everything seems so be in working order. i did notice a slight bit of dirt in the bottom of the carbs every time I checked them. I do not know much about the timing plate, but I know I took it off thinking the coils were bad a while back and put everything back together.

I know the lower unit looks a bit beat up, but that wouldnt cause these problems would it?

kjburr08

Seaman Apprentice

I noticed the plugs are black usually after running engine. Maybe to much 2 cycle? The mix is 50:1 isnt it? There isnt much to the fuel pump it seems. Anyone have any suggestions at all?

chilly1

Seaman Apprentice

Novice here. On my 1971 55 HP there is an overlapping piece of metal from the shift mechanism holding the throttle (tower shaft) from rotating in neutral. I have to push the silver tab on the remote control in to use the throttle and shift simultaneously. Why that tab is even there confuses me. Safety lock, I guess. Don't rev it up much out of the lake, they tell me. Hope this helps! Good luck.
Joe