Battery usage

snapshotmd

Seaman
I'm working on a project aluminum bass boat and the most everything, except for the trolling motor, seems to be powered by the starter battery. What's on the starter?

Motor
Nav lights
Bilge pump
Aerator pump
Accessory

The only thing that is hooked up to the deep cycle battery compartment is the trolling motor.

Does this make sense? Or should I reroute some of these to the DC battery?

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Battery usage

your good you use the trolling motor a lot and that need the most battery. On mine I have motor,gps,livewell,bilge,lights then I have 2 batteries for the trolling motor never had a problem.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

I'm working on a project aluminum bass boat and the most everything, except for the trolling motor, seems to be powered by the starter battery. What's on the starter?

Motor
Nav lights
Bilge pump
Aerator pump
Accessory

The only thing that is hooked up to the deep cycle battery compartment is the trolling motor.

Does this make sense? Or should I reroute some of these to the DC battery?

When your stereo goes dead is not the time to figure out you are out of luck getting the battery charged. If your motor starts, you can re-charge your trolling battery.

Leave the starter only on the staring battery, everything else on House battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

using an outboard to charge a deeply discharged trolling motor battery requires that you run wide open for hours. You can stuff enough power back in it a 15 minute run to perhaps fish a bit longer but most outboards have a very small alternator and it's main job is to keep the starting battery charged. Serious fisherman have an on-board smart charger to keep all batteries topped off and that unit is plugged in at the dock. The starting battery (if it is of a reasonable size) will serve your power needs without any rewiring. Keep the deep cycle for the troller. If you are worried about running the start battery down, carry a set of jumper cables or a jump start box.