2002 FORD Explorer XLT question

204 Escape

Ensign
I found one that I am considering for my son. It is the Premiun Sport Package. (That means basically that it has leather seats instead of cloth). It has 72,000 miles on it. It is really clean, and "I think", they gave me a good price on it.

ANyone own one ??

Likes or dislikes ??

Thanx !!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 2002 FORD Explorer XLT question

Decent rig. Just tell him to keep the oil changed :D I worked at a car dealer and those did not last on the lot long. Isn't the Sport a 2 dr too?

They do have nice leather.

204 Escape

Ensign

It's a 4 door, + the hatchback door on the rear. It has the overhead air, and the heat through the console. It's loaded out pretty well. It is a V-6 though, and full time 4 X 4. It looks pretty clean.

I will know tomorrow, whether they accept my offer or not.

We are VERY maintence concious people. Oil, air pressures, cleanliness, etc., is something that I will show him. (I hope that he listens).

He just turned 16, and is a really good kid. (I know, that sounds like I'm bragging, and "maybe" I am.)

I just wanted to get him something to drive, and the car dealer that I deal with knows that, and I am hoping that he accepts our offer.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would not recommend that 4.0 SOHC engine to anyone. Multiple timing chains tensioned with large flimsy chunks of plastic and 1 of the 3 chains is in the back of motor against the bell housing.
Why Ford decided to cobble OHC's onto the old 4.0 OHV that was pretty durable is beyond me but I saw and heard so many 4.0 SOHC's with bad tensioners and broken chain guides with loose rattling timing chains and the resulting valve damage that it really saddens me that Ford did that to their customers.
I love my 99 Exploder with a 5.0 V8 that has logged 180k trouble free miles.

Jeep 4.0 Grand Cherokee's, Chevy/GMC 4.3 SUV's and V8 Exploders are known reliable rides so I would not recommend for anyone to get potential junk when they could get something known to be durable and reliable.

Here's a beaut from the blue oval Boys, and hey I'm a huge Ford fan, just not a fan of rubbish.
TSB 02-7-6 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle
*Engine - 4.0L SOHC - Rattle noise from primary chain drive area between 2K-3K RPM - Cold engine operation only

*Noise - Rattle noise from primary timing chain drive area between 2K-3K RPM - Cold engine operation only - vehicles equipped with 4.0L SOHC Engine only

Ford: 99-02 Explorer, 01-02 Sport Trac, Explorer Sport, Ranger
Mercury: 99-02 Mountaineer

Issue:

Some vehicles equipped with the 4.0 SOHC (Single Over-Head Cam) engine may exhibit a Primary Timing Chain rattle noise. The noise is audible during hot and cold engine operation (but predominantly found on cold engines) under acceleration, typically at 2400-2500 rpm. To confirm presence of this noise, accelerate in 2nd gear between 2000-3000 rpm and listen for rattle noise that sounds similar to spark knock. This may be caused by the Primary Timing Chain Tensioner system.

Action:

Replace the Primary Timing Chain Tensioner, Chain Guide, Jackshaft, and Crankshaft Sprockets with a Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Kit. The kit includes an improved Primary Chain Tensioner, as well as updated Primary Chain Guide, Jackshaft, and Crankshaft Sprockets. Required fastners, primary timing chain, and front cover gaskets are also included. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

Service Procedure:

Verify the condition. Obtain the correct kit and follow the sheet supplied with the kit.

Use kit 2U3Z-6D256-AA (balance shaft engines) for:
-99-01 4x4 Explorer/Mountaineer
-01-02 4x4 Sport/Sport Trac
-All 02 Explorer/Mountaineer, except engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA

Use kit 2U3Z-6D256-BA (non blance shaft engines) for:
-99-01 4x2 Explorer/Mountaineer
-01-02 4x2 Sport/Sport Trac
-02 Explorer/Mountaineer with engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA
-All 2001-02 Ranger

Labor Time: Estimated around 6 hours

Warranty Status: Elgible under the provisions of Bumper to Bumper warranty coverage

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Winsor03Cobra. Those engines could last and maybe with the care the OP is suggeting it will. For the most part I look at that engine the way many here view a Merc 470.

Windsor03cobra,
Do you know if the 99 5.0 Explorer came with the Cobra intake? My 5.0 Bronco has one that the previous owner installed and I dont know what year Explorer he used. Im getting a second Bronco and want to set it up with the Cobra intake and GT40 heads like my current one is set up. I already have the heads so I only need the intake.
Sorry for the hijack.

striper2101

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 2002 explorer xlt, DO NOT BUY IT!!! I am the original owner and baby this truck. It only has 50k miles on it, the transmission has already been replaced, the rear bearings have been replaced, the plastic piece on the back hatch has cracked and several other smaller problems. Google 2002 explorer problems and you will find plenty to read. Thank God I had an extended warranty to cover the tranny, but the rear bearings cost me $750.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It doesn't say "Cobra" on it or have a picture of said snake but it is the most desirable Ford factory intake for performance, along with the GT40 heads that came on the late model 5 litre's.
You can probably get heads and upper and lower intake complete on for $300 from ebay or a wrecking yard.
It looks alot like the 351 Lightning's intake actually.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

It doesn't say "Cobra" on it or have a picture of said snake but it is the most desirable Ford factory intake for performance, along with the GT40 heads that came on the late model 5 litre's.
You can probably get heads and upper and lower intake complete on for $300 from ebay or a wrecking yard.
It looks alot like the 351 Lightning's intake actually.

Thank you for answering.
It wont say Cobra unless it was on a Cobra but they are the same. I was not sure if it was the 99' Explorers or older ones that had the Cobra intake. The Explorers that had such intakes and heads were some of the best 5.0's ever built by Ford. What totally kills their performance is the restrictive exhaust manifolds and cam. My Bronco has the Cobra intake with GT40 heads, headers, true dual exhaust, MSD ignition and 4.56 gears with aftermarket locking diffs. I want my second one set up the same but I want bigger tires on it (38's). My current Bronco is no hot rod but it has yanked many 3/4 tons out of muddy ditches without even breaking a sweat.

To the op,
Have you reconsidered your choice of Explorer or are you set on that particular one?
Sorry about the highjack.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a 2000 Explorer with the 4.0. She got it in the divorce. It has 240k on it and all I've ever replaced was the oil & filters. NO trans trouble, no engine trouble, no rear end trouble. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. It used to pull the boat, firewood trailer, and the camper. Well, it still pulls the camper........she got it too.:rolleyes:

For my money they are the best SUV's on the market.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I work at a Ford dealership and have been in the auto service business for years. Go ahead and buy the truck, just check it over well and use good judgment. The 4.0 is a very reliable and proven engine. I see at least one every week with over 200k miles it. They are good trucks.

People ranting about this problem and that problem are basing their opinions on online blogs where people come to complain. Using that logic a good read on the I/O repair section here would suggest that every engine Mercury builds is junk. Every engine has a problem at some point and nobody knows how all these internet vehicle "warnings" are based. Its unfair and un-balnced to condem a vehicle without knowing the vehicle itself.

If all checks well enjoy your new truck.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 2002 explorer xlt, DO NOT BUY IT!!! I am the original owner and baby this truck. It only has 50k miles on it, the transmission has already been replaced, the rear bearings have been replaced, the plastic piece on the back hatch has cracked and several other smaller problems. Google 2002 explorer problems and you will find plenty to read. Thank God I had an extended warranty to cover the tranny, but the rear bearings cost me $750.

There were a FEW lemons in 2002 but usually they are pretty good. I have a 2002 Mountaineer V8 Premier (same as the explorer) and it just turned 100k on it. So far I've had to change 1 Rear wheel bearing and 2 Coil on plugs other wise its been trouble free and gets pretty good mileage too. I average 14-15 around town and 20-22 on the freeway. The Tranny issues in the 2002-2003 Explorers with the 5R55W tranny is caused buy faulty control valve unit, I've seen a few but its not THAT common.

Vikesfan

Seaman

I have a 2002 Explorer Sport Trac and have over 155,000 miles on mine with no problems. I have had to replace a few of the door handles in the back because they don't automatically unlock when you pull on them but that has been it. I have towed a boat from Iowa to Tennessee with it and have had no problems. All I do is oil and filter changes, nothing special. It's been a good truck for me.

204 Escape

Ensign

I had done some on line research on this particular vehicle, after posting here. Common problems were:

1) Timing chain issues
2) Transmission problems
3) Wheel bearing issues

I had a mechanic, (at the dealership that I trusted), to look the vehicle over.

Upon completion of his examination, he found the following:

1) Clutch for the all time 4wheel drive was going out
2) The 2 rear wheel bearings were going out.

Final decision: I didn't buy it !!!! He can drive the Mustang we have !!! We know where it has been, and what kind of shape it is in !!!!!! ;)

THANK-YOU everyone for your honesty, and your input !!!!!!!!

87 caravelle

Seaman Apprentice

i have a 98 sport with the 4.0 and love it! back in her hay-day id beat anythin and i mean anythin off the line w/ the controll trac. only ten less hp than the v8 and prolly 6-700 lbs(guessing) lighter over all, this thing hauls...for what it is. i change the oil and filter every 5k miles w/ mobile one synth oil and change ALL fluids every other year, reguardless of miles, w/ synth lubricants. so w/ 141k on her now, ive done alot because im picky. u joints, front axle, brakes, rotors, water pump, t-stat nothing major. ive installed a tranny temp guage for haulin the boat, cause i go up hills and dont want to over work the tranny, which is a weak spot for these vehicles. all in all i would buy this truck over again w/o question, only a 4 door, sucks w/ a car seat :rolleyes: