Engine Removal - 7.4L MPI

Joker757

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone know how long it should take a pro to remove a 7.4L MPI from the boat? I'm going to have mine removed and trying to get some idea as to what kind of expense I'm looking at. I'll call the marina tomorrow to get a firm quote but just wondering if anyone else had any idea. I've heard 8 hours for remove and replace. Also can anyone recommend a engine stand for this motor? Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine Removal - 7.4L MPI

Depends on the boat, if it`s a straight snatch and grab 2 hours or less to remove it. If it`s in a Crown Line plan on cutting the boat a bit or removing the major parts of the motor first for clearance.Engine stand is your basic automotive one.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

As far as engine stand, it depends on what your going to do? If you are just rebuilding then any good automotive stand will be fine. When I pulled my motor I just wanted to correct an oil leak at the timing cover. I wish I would have bought something like http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200349940_200349940

Because it was really difficult to rotate the engine with everything bolted on the engine, and I have a small block.​

(It's a Crownline btw):D

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know if you are thinking of doing it yourself, but it took me and a couple of buddies about 4 hours to pull my 7.4. We spent a lot of time marking wires and pull off extra pieces to be able to get it out of the hole. Take a picture of everything you pull off, before you pull it off, saves you a lot of time later.

Fully loaded, you need a good engine stand. that is a lot of torque pulling against the 4 bolts in the back. I left my exhaust manifolds off until it was on my starting stand.

Have fun... I just got mine started yesterday (thread coming) it was a GREAT feeling that I did it..

Joker757

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm going to pay a professional to pull it and put it back in. I will do the work on the engine myself. The engine weighs just under 700lbs so I'm going to get a 1200lbs capacity stand from Harbor Freight. Only 60 bucks. My neighbor has a hoist that I can use to get it out of my truck once its removed from the boat. While I have the engine out I'm thinking of adding a quick drain oil line. Anyone have any experience with these? Any recommendations?

The maraine mechanic actually returned my call yesterday. He lives less than a mile away and came by to look at the boat. He is going to charge me 4hrs labor to pull the engine and 4 to put it back in. His labor rate is $65/hr. So total to remove and replace the engine will be $520.00. Well worth it in my opinion.

Joker757

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know if you are thinking of doing it yourself, but it took me and a couple of buddies about 4 hours to pull my 7.4. We spent a lot of time marking wires and pull off extra pieces to be able to get it out of the hole. Take a picture of everything you pull off, before you pull it off, saves you a lot of time later.

Fully loaded, you need a good engine stand. that is a lot of torque pulling against the 4 bolts in the back. I left my exhaust manifolds off until it was on my starting stand.

Have fun... I just got mine started yesterday (thread coming) it was a GREAT feeling that I did it..

What did you do to the engine? Let me know how you make out.