The Real Story on Bellows

Mscanon99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I am seeking the best advice on Bellows. I have been told a number of things about bellows, like as follows:

1. Replace them every 8-10 years, period.
2. Replace them when needed. This does not make much sence to me, wait till they leak?
3. If the boat was slipped for the summer, they will go bad faster than if the boat was trailer'd and only put in the water when using it. Slipped boats bellows will dry rot and trailered boats will not.
4. Park the boat on the trailer with the outdrive down to prevent the bellows from wearing.
5. Exhaust bellows are not that important becuase they wont leak into the boat, only worry about the drive/shift bellows.

Assume on the above that my questions were about fresh water boats, not salt and were in the Northeast where we only boat from May to September.

I would really like to know what to expect from a boat. My current boat is a 1997 that was slipped in fresh water for the last 10 years. I am thinking about moving to a 1993 that was trailered.

I can tell you that the outdrive on my newer, slipped boat is in worse cosmetic shape than the older 1993 that was trailered. There is build up/pitting on the 1997 and not on the 1993. It would make sence to me that the bellows have more wear as well.

I am just trying to get a dependable response on this. Being a pro maintenance guy, I would like to know and don't want to wait till they leak and I can't use my boat.

Please let me know, how long can they last? How long has any other Iboaters gone on them?

Thanks

MS

insaneasylm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: The Real Story on Bellows

if you are worried about them change them. Even if they aren't leaking.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

First, any boat slipped is more likely to have corrosion issues than a boat trailered.

Beyond that it's hard to say how long you can get out of bellows. I've seen 15yr old bellows that look ok. I've seen 5yr old bellows that were toast.

Factory bellows, aftermarket bellows some say it's the same , some say not.

If you want to be cautious follow your manufacturers suggested maint intervall. Like to live on the edge, run em till they are a problem.

I will agree that outdrive down during storage is easier on the bellows.

I've seen alot of sunk boats in the marina due to bad shift cable bellows.

Your mileage may vary.

James

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Answers below:

Hi All,

I am seeking the best advice on Bellows. I have been told a number of things about bellows, like as follows:

1. Replace them every 8-10 years, period. I believe that most would say more frequently than that
2. Replace them when needed. This does not make much sence to me, wait till they leak? You're right - doesn't make sense

3. If the boat was slipped for the summer, they will go bad faster than if the boat was trailer'd and only put in the water when using it. Slipped boats bellows will dry rot and trailered boats will not. Don't know

4. Park the boat on the trailer with the outdrive down to prevent the bellows from wearing. Not a big deal - but with the outdrive up, it will collect and hold water

5. Exhaust bellows are not that important becuase they wont leak into the boat, only worry about the drive/shift bellows. True

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

You don't fix the bellows because they can sink the boat, you fix them if they leak period. It depends on the drive as well. I don't think the Volvo drives leak enough to sink the boat but not sure on the others. The reason to replace the bellows though is to save some very expensive parts from premature failure. If they are cracking or rotting then replace them. If they still look great and the u joints are not getting wet then run em.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree with all the above.
Change them before there is an isssue. Once you notice the leak there will be more than just bellows to deal with.
Just a little dry rot is good enough reason to change them in my opinion.

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer

i 've had already the sierra belows for two seasons .i 've heard somewhere here that it's good to change them every second season but since they looked great i decided to leave them on for a third period having of course checked their sensitive points, the front sides. however due to a transom dissasembly i took them on my hands and examine them closer.A very light crack at a front side revealed me that they wouldn't last for a third season.So in the future i'm now convinced.only for two seasons.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...My boat has 10 year old Seirra bellows,...
The 1st 2/3rds of my boats time with these was Trailered,+ the last 3-4 seasons it's been docked...
They'll be getting changed this season....

As noted,... Before they leak is the time to change them,...
Not after they leak....