Need prop help, have info...please!

chris91sho

Recruit
ok, i have a 17 foot rinker with a 2.5/120 horse mercruiser sterndrive. My prop now is a 14" x 17p. Little chewed up on the edges. My first question is, can a prop thats chewed up a little around the edges cause overreving of the engine(no missing pieces)? 2nd question, the boat weighs 1600 plus full gas, and crew of 600 so 2200 lbs total. Today i was running 34 mph on the wishometer, but my tach was showing 4900. I know this motor is suppose to be 4200-4600 rpms so if my prop is not causing overreving should i buy a 19p to drop my rpms. I was pulled back off the throttle cuz i don't want to blow it up so it seems i can sacrifice 2-300 rpms. Any and all help is appreciated, and if i'm not mistaken going up in pitch will make me lose a little holeshot but gain a couple mphs, correct? Thanks again.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Need prop help, have info...please!

First, confirm that your tachometer is correct. A 17 pitch prop sounds about right for that motor. If your tach is correct, then you are underpropped, cause the 2.5 is not rated to turn 4900rpm. You would need to go to a 18 or 19 pitch. And yes, your holeshot might suffer a little, but in theory your top end would be faster. And not a prop that is just "nicked up" should cause the over rev by itself. But I haven't seen your prop, so I can't say for sure.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Yes a imperfect prop could cause over reving and your tach may need to be checked but get the prop repaired and test it again.It needs it anyway.I believe typically for a light load and max speed you would use a 19" or 21" pitch. If your thinking of a prop change check out the Turning Point Hustler.
delivers SS performance at aluminum prices.
After testing the prop if it is within specs try a Hustler in the same pitch.
It should give an overall improvement in performance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Top end would not increase -- it would stay the same since engine speed came down 300 - 400 rpm using a 17P. Only if the engine still revs at or close to 4900 would speed increase. All of this of course depends to a degree on slip factors between the chosen props.

chris91sho

Recruit

thanks guys, the prop is barely chewed with the biggest nick being about 1/4" into the blade. I'm not really looking for more top end with a new prop just looking to run the correct rpms around 4600. I'm looking at the 19p turning point hustler. Anyone have any experience with these? I am going to get my prop redone but it takes two weeks and don't want to be without my boat so i figure i'll buy the 19p and then have the 17p as a spare or if i'm going to be doing alot of skiing. Thanks for helping me make up my mind!

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same engine and same weight boat. Use a 14 1/4 x 19 and you will be perfect. The 21 pitch is just a tad too much for the 2.5.