1978 galaxie 22xl no rpms

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, hopefully some of you remember me.

1978 galaxie 22xl 260 merc chevy crate motor with 100hrs.

Only pull 3000 rpms. Backfires as well at wot

Have read the sticky.

Replaced the ignition parts, had all timing dwell advance set by dealer
Replaced fuel filter at carb, and water seperating unit as well
Bottom of boat is clean.

You had recommended checking anti siphon valves. Well maybe this is it.

Have two rectangular steel tanks each side. On one side, the check ball had yellowjacket bee parts in it, and I blew them out.

On the other side though, there was rubber stuff in this one, but it broke off in the brass fitting that is between the tank and the check valve. Also, the one on this side, the ball is noticeably bigger than the other one.

Also, on this side, I noticed that there was some what appeared to be gas just slightly leaking around the base of the brass fitting where it screws in to the tank. Is there some sort of sealant you use on the fitting when you screw it in to the tank, and when you screw the anti siphon valve in to the brass fitting?

Can this be part of my problem? Also, I noticed that the fuel sending wires are zip tied to the fuel line. Is this correct?

I am also putting new plug wires on and using seperators as it seems some of the wires kind of criss cross each other, that does not seem right.

What about the fuel pump? Could this be an issue? Accelerator pump in the carb? Seems like she comes out of the hole ok, but just flattens out on top.

Any help will be appreciated!

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1978 galaxie 22xl no rpms

Anyone out there in boat land can help me??

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The Checklist is Here,...
Is there some sort of sealant you use on the fitting when you screw it in to the tank, and when you screw the anti siphon valve in to the brass fitting?

Pipe dope...

MikDee

Banned

Ok, hopefully some of you remember me.

1978 galaxie 22xl 260 merc chevy crate motor with 100hrs.

Only pull 3000 rpms. Backfires as well at wot

Have read the sticky.

Replaced the ignition parts, had all timing dwell advance set by dealer
Replaced fuel filter at carb, and water seperating unit as well
Bottom of boat is clean.

You had recommended checking anti siphon valves. Well maybe this is it.

Have two rectangular steel tanks each side. On one side, the check ball had yellowjacket bee parts in it, and I blew them out.

On the other side though, there was rubber stuff in this one, but it broke off in the brass fitting that is between the tank and the check valve. Also, the one on this side, the ball is noticeably bigger than the other one.

Also, on this side, I noticed that there was some what appeared to be gas just slightly leaking around the base of the brass fitting where it screws in to the tank. Is there some sort of sealant you use on the fitting when you screw it in to the tank, and when you screw the anti siphon valve in to the brass fitting?

Can this be part of my problem? Also, I noticed that the fuel sending wires are zip tied to the fuel line. Is this correct?

I am also putting new plug wires on and using seperators as it seems some of the wires kind of criss cross each other, that does not seem right.

What about the fuel pump? Could this be an issue? Accelerator pump in the carb? Seems like she comes out of the hole ok, but just flattens out on top.

Any help will be appreciated!

Yes, zip ties are used by the factory

Get some new antisipon valves

Check out your spark plug wiring closely! It sounds like you have a couple wires crossed, sometimes the only indication is a loss of power.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 as embossed on the intake manifold, clockwise distributor rotation.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

I'll suggest taking an outboard fuel tank and hooking it up in place of the boat fuel system then a test drive. If the problem goes away then the boat fuel system is a problem. If you still have the problem then it's on the motor side.

James

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok gets even better now. I had a cracked exhaust riser to y-pipe rubber bellow, or whatever you call it on the right side, so I bought a new one and just took the riser off this morning.

There was no flapper in the y-pipe!

I took to other side off, figured if one is failed, the other can't be far behind.

There was no flapper on the other side either! Is this correct? If there were flappers in here, are they now in the bottom of the y-pipe? How can I tell if they are down there?

I can't see where the flapper would mount.

Good news is manifold and risers look pretty good, no serious corrosion there.

What should I do?

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can pull the outdrive and look in the exhaust passage. There are photos here on the site of what it looks like. Do a search on exhaust flappers...could be your issue, similar symptoms. Defintely square the fuel valve issues. Any type of fuel leaks are dangerous.

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So how hard is it to pull the outdrive? Can I do it myself?

Also, should I replace any exhaust bellows, or rubber pieces while I am there if I can take it off myself?

But I am not understanding one thing. Where do the flappers mount to? I dont see any holes, or any recessess that would allow them to not fall down.

Could this be the wrong y-pipe? Is it possible that there were never flappers in there to begin with?

rabeck5792

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you said chevy crate motor,does it have a marine cam it.marine cams have way different profiles than stock automotive cams.