Sawp Volvo for Mercruiser ?

Rickairmedic

Commander
Ok heres the question . Ihave a 74 Larson with a good Mercruiser 120 4 banger and Mercuiser outdrive. I have an oportunity to buy an 86 Bayliner with a volvo setup that needs a block . How hard would it be to swap the volvo setup complete for the mercruiser setup.

Rick

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sawp Volvo for Mercruiser ?

Howdy,

Depends on which model Volvo it is.

I swapped out an 87 OMC Cobra for a 97 Mercruiser Bravo and the transom cut out is the same.

You'll have to be more specific which model Volvo you're talking about. (I think Volvo in 86 used a large cut out)

The later Volvo SX models used the same cutout somewhere in the late 80's to early 90's

Regards,

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

Rick the add says its a volvo penta outdrive not sure what volvo motor was in it . I realise I will probably have to rework the transome but otherwise I am just wondering how hard the swap would be if the volvo was a 4 banger the merc is also a 4 banger so that much of it shouldnt be to bad . I do have fab skills .

Rick

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If you have the same type engine it *shouldn't* be hard. Having said that you must also have the old engine so you can use all the accessories from it to put on the "new' engine.

Fab skills might include replacing the transom wood/fiberglass or "filling" in the old hole and recutting the transom cutout. Not an easy task even for someone that does it regularly.

Not a lot of shops do it because the boats with the large cutouts are usually 25+ years old. They're usually not worth the labor involved to do a swap like that.

The labor costs alone could easily exceed the value of the boat once it's all done....

If you're going to just swap the engine from one boat over to the other one....that's easier as long as the "block" is the same.

If you're wanting to remove the complete engine and drive and swap them.....that's where it becomes complicated on the older OMCs Volvos, and Mercs.

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class

volvo motor is probably a aq series and mercruiser uses gm motors. The aq's are volvo motors, they didn't go to the gm block 3.0 till later.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok what I know so far is it has a Volvo Penta 270 outdrive . I am thinking if the original motor was a 4 banger volvo and I have a 4 banger merc/GM motor it might be possible to just drop in my Merc motor and leave the outdrive alone as long as the engine coupler to driveshaft splines are the same it really shouldnt be that much work to get the motor in . I have to replace the engine coupler on the merc anyways . I will know more tomorrow morning when I go look at it as its dark now and not good for looking at a boat . I figure it is alot more modern than the 74 Larson I have and if both boats were 4 bangers to begin with easy swap . I am not sure though as it may have had a V8 in it to begin with and if thats the case then thats easy all I need is a 350 Chebby smallblock :D. Then I can sell the Larson whole :D.

Rick

Bondo

Staff member

I am thinking if the original motor was a 4 banger volvo and I have a 4 banger merc/GM motor it might be possible to just drop in my Merc motor and leave the outdrive alone as long as the engine coupler to driveshaft splines are the same it really shouldnt be that much work to get the motor in .

Ayuh,... I Guarantee that Won't work....

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a mercruiser 120 with a cracked block... can i have your old one if u switch?

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Galaxy what part of the country are you in . The problem with the 86 Bayliner I am looking at is it needs a block . The Mercruiser is still in a 74 Larson which is complete soooooooo if the swap wont work I will most likely sell the larson whole to finance the Bayliner project . I know Bayliners of that vintage came with Volvo outdrives and small block Chebby motors . I still have to go look at the boat who knows maybe I will get lucky and it has a small block in it in which case a new block is easy at the auto scrap yard :D.

Rick

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

pennsylvania... ill give u $50 for it :D and ill even be a nice guy and throw in $25 for shipping haha