115 evinrude running to rich?

redbudds

Cadet
I have a 1997 evinrude 115 v4 90degree carburatuered engine...I seem to be running too rich.....she's running a lil smokey and I seem to be getting a lil to much unspent oils in my exhaust....I am just basically running it at low idle here in my driveway... Could my excessive idleing be causing this? I have a repair manual that covers many years and models so at times it can be a lil vauge with details..... the book says that to run at a proper idle the carb plates should be closed...Is this true?...my carbs have no adjustments they are fixed....by adjusting my cam follower to slightly open the carbs I should be able to lean it out.....Any input on this matter would help.......thanks

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 115 evinrude running to rich?

Pull your plugs after a WOT run on the water. If they are brown to tan you are where you want to be. If they are oily and black you may be running rich. Excessive idling will cause it to run richer. Also when is the last time you did a decarb? If it has been a while I would do that before I started changing anything on the motor. Do you premix or do you still have a VRO? Do you use seafoam or a carbon guard type product to minimize carbon buildup.

redbudds

Cadet
Re: 115 evinrude running to rich?

I've got a few hours on the engine now.....seems to be running ok....A lil hard to start after it's been used for a lil...I have yet to check my plugs...It's a new rebuild so I'm not dealing with any carbon issues....My only issue is my timeing / fuel synchronization....I need to make some fine adjustments and I am just not sure if the carbureators should be fully closed or ever so slightly opened?............