Impeller Change Out '81 70 hp Johnson

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer
I just resealed the top of my LU (driveshaft & shift rod) & replaced impeller in my '81 70 hp, 3 cylinder Johnson. When I was trying to put it back together I mucked up the end of the copper water tube where it fits into the impeller. I was able to get it real close to being round again & put some gasket adhesive around the grommet where the pipe rests on it. I tested it with muffs in the back yard, there is a strong flow of water coming from the pee hole, stronger than b/4, which was always alot of water. There is also water coming from a small hole in the body between the gear case & power head in the front, & a little coming from the hinge housing. I figure all the water is not going up the copper tube & what I see is just coming out where it can. Will it hurt it to run like this? I never had an overheating problem & there is more water going through engine than b/4. Anybody ever have this happen to them?

boat_poor

Cadet
Re: Impeller Change Out '81 70 hp Johnson

It is going to do that . I would not have put that adhesive on it . It is only going to maye it harder the next time you change the impeller.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Impeller Change Out '81 70 hp Johnson

Thanks for quick, reassuring reponse! Too late now for the sealer! Oh, well, the sealer was easy to slide off metal parts, I figure I'll replace the grommet anyway next time I replace impeller. I've always read to replace impeller yearly but when I bought my boat it had sat for 3 years & lots of water came from pee hole, I only changed impeller cuz I had to open LU to replace shift rod o-ring cuz it was leaking. I used boat for 5 years with orignal impeller & it was till going strong!

This site is great!!!!

Last edited: