johnson 15hp

binky3856

Recruit
I am having trouble getting the lower end to drop off of my 1975 15 hp johnson. I have removed the six bolts and disconnected the shifting linkage but it only drops about two inches. What am I missing? HELP!!!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: johnson 15hp

Tempted to say its the drive shaft not coming away from the crankshaft but I dont think it would drop as much as 2" if it was that.

Sure you have fully disconnected the joint in the shift rod.

Some engines have a pin through the top of the drive shaft that has to be properly aligned but I dont think that applies, anyway i dont think that would allow it to come down by two inches.

Is it a long shaft model? IF so take the extension piece off with the gearcase and then remove that after cleaning up the drive shaft. Forcing it will result in the pump impeller pin damaging the water pump casing. The drive shaft runs in a bush in the extension and wont slide through it until cleaned up! (dont ask how I know this)

binky3856

Recruit

Thanks for the help. Not long shaft, I have the manual and can't see anything that would stop it from dropping. It dropped maybe only one inch.Just enough to get at the shift coupling. Don't know what else to do. hope I can get an answer here.

CATransplant

Admiral

Did you remove the coupling bolt or just loosen it. You have to remove it.